Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2002 Mercedes S430 yellow stains on both front seats on the side bolsters

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  danieldefasson 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Mercedes S430 with light gray leather upholstery.

Through the years it has developed yellow stains on both front seats on the side bolsters. The yellow seems to be coming up from the leather and through the gray leather dye.

I have seen this same issue on a number of Benz’s with light interiors.

I have already had the seats refinished twice by reputable shops but am again experiencing the same problem.

I am wondering if there may be a leather sealer that would completely block out the leather that is underneath and that would prevent whatever chemical is coming up from the seats and “eating” though the new dye.

Please let me know if you have experienced this issue and if you can propose a solution.

Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
I don't know much about leather finishing, however it seems that seat bolsters wear out quick across makes. The outside driver's bolster is the one that gets it hardest from getting in the car.

In my 93' Taurus SHO, the material covering the bolsters is shot. I also have a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero and the driver's bolster is showing some wear around the stitching.

It could have something to do with the way you get in the car. I'm guessing your a big guy from the 430 model and big guys (or women with side/back boobs), are hard on seats. When you get in the car do you probably slide across the bolsters and butt drop the seat. When you turn, the body rubs on those bolsters. Over time they wear out. Aside from getting a seat cover, and keeping the leather supple with conditioners, I dont' know what to tell you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.