Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Considering a 1983 300D

593 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sokoloff 
#1 ·
I saw a 1983 300D for sale on the street today, 104,000 miles, rear end subframe replaced recently, and it starts and runs.

This seems very low miles for a car of that age, and it might have another 100K or more in it with reasonable fixups. Any general advice or comments would be very welcome.

Thanks.

#3 ·
Further Info

The seller said his grandfather had this car made in Germany to American specifications, that it start and runs, and was well cared for. That the rear ends on 300Ds tend to have rust poblems, and in this car the reard subframe, swing arms and a couple related things have been replaced. He thought the tires, brakes, ball joints and tierod ends should be replaced.

I like your calling this a million-mile engine. I'm thinking it's worth a trip to the mechanic for a checkover. The kinds of things that should be replaced or rebuilt are what I'm trying to know more about.

#4 ·
definitely get this car checked out by your personal mechanic or a used car inspection company. there are plenty of companies like aim mobile inspections and carchex that offer this service at an affordable price. small price to pay for quality assurance. good luck!

#5 ·
Don't believe the mileage unless records are provided. It is very common for the odometer to stop working and it may have been that way for twenty years.

Len

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.