post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1994 and 1995 C220 and a 2000 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question C220 key broke in ingition lock

I have read the threads on other mercedes lock removel and was wondering if someone new the best way to remove the lock out of a 1995 C220 with the key broken off in the lock. I have not been able to remove the key it is to deep in the lock. I have the bottom half of the dash removed the instrument cluster loose and ready to be pulled out as soon as I pull the steering wheel off. W202

Last edited by Redmanrh; 07-29-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: missing information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
W202?, W203?, W204?.

We are not mind-readers here. Provide all details.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Sorry new to mercedes w202
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:21 AM
Outstanding Contributor

That's not 'all details'......what is difficult about providing year, location. etc, like everybody else here?

However, about your EIS (electronic ignition switch module. N73)

1. It's almost impossible for the fob key to break off inside the module. How did you manage to do that?

2. You need a special M-B tool (or maybe fabricate one yourself) to remove the unit. If you study the unit, you will see 4 castellated shoulders for the special key to grip, before it is turned. If you try to remove it with ordinary tools you will probably wreck it completely.....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Red face

The 1995 c220 is my son's car, he broke off the key in the trunk lock, he was able to get the key out of the trunk lock, then he super glued the key togeather and stuck it into the ignition and rest is history.
I have both styles of removel tool and that part is done.

I read on the WWW. were someone had ground down the lock pin. So I'm at the point were I can drop the steering column and grind the pin.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: C320 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmanrh View Post
He was able to get the key out of the trunk lock, then he super glued the key togeather and stuck it into the ignition and rest is history.
Never heard that one before! Sorry I can't help but good luck with everything.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Outstanding Contributor

OK - I'll admit I'm baffled. I was not aware that the fob key could be used in the trunk. Maybe on the C220 it can.

However, my understanding is that normally the key is held 'locked' in the EIS module only when the shift stick is in D, N, and R by a locking valve/locking cam. In P, and when the key is in pos 0, the shift lock is released. There is a cable that provides mechanical linkage between the ignition switch module and the gear shift that ensures this operation.

Is the key now in pos 0, with the gear stick in P?

Failing that, as the key is now toast, can you drill into the stuck part, and fit a self-tapped screw in there? I think that the end is held in place by light spring pressure, and if it is not actually locked, you might be able to pull it clear.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb

Yes, it is in O position and in park. When I tried to drill out the tumbler all I did was brake a couple of drill bits an didn't even scratch the lock plate.

Thanks for the reply, So I was able to lower the steering column down were I could grind the lock pin flush to the lock housing, which allowed me to slide the lock housing off of the steering column. With lock housing in hand, I still could not get the key out or get the tumbler to turn. So I split the the tumbler cover and still could not get the key out or the tumbler to turn. I will be getting a new lock housing, tumbler, keys, ignition switch and a warning switch. Then comes the fun part of putting it back together and hope it all works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmanrh View Post
Yes, it is in O position and in park. When I tried to drill out the tumbler all I did was brake a couple of drill bits an didn't even scratch the lock plate.

Thanks for the reply, So I was able to lower the steering column down were I could grind the lock pin flush to the lock housing, which allowed me to slide the lock housing off of the steering column. With lock housing in hand, I still could not get the key out or get the tumbler to turn. So I split the the tumbler cover and still could not get the key out or the tumbler to turn. I will be getting a new lock housing, tumbler, keys, ignition switch and a warning switch. Then comes the fun part of putting it back together and hope it all works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012 Ignition switch still working, just had car painted, 210000 miles and still running strong, working on a surge and stall problem now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in