Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2007 NAV Direction of Travel

859 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ruckersc 
#1 ·
Recently bought a 2003 SL500 (sweet car!). The NAV was useless in Little Rock and I purchased the 01/2007 CDs. They are much better, but I can't figure out how to change from North Up to Direction of travel on the display. The menu in the 2003 manual does not seem to be there in the 2007 edition. Have had no luck finding how to use the 2003 controls with the 2007 upgrade. Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Yes, that was what I wanted - "heading up" instead of "North up". Wonder why that may only be avaiolable when route guidance is active? Love MB, but sometimes they make me nuts with their "we know what is good for you and you can't choose something else" attitude. Thanks.

#4 ·
Well, at some point MB reduced a lot the flexibility owners can have. The reason was that customers had screwed up settings and did not understand that. To get better quality reports, room for confusion was removed. Us who can handle the options can only say thanks to those who were lost with the flexibility.

Honestly this isn't straightforward in my opinion. My 221 Comand is using "heading up" also when navigation is not active (if heading up has been selected). This is good if you are searching the area very close to your current position but if you are searching places further away, like another city, it is confusing to search for a town you know is to the North from your current position but on the map it may appear on the left, right or downwards, depending on your current heading.

#5 ·
Spent a lot of time in the Army and was taught to orient the map in the direction of travel and, while a map search for a location is best done with north up, when driving and not on a route I still like to see what is "ahead" and that is best done with a "Heading up" display. Guess I'll just have to live with it - found a work-around using a point off the current CD coverage area, but haven't gotten it to work yet. Will play with it this weekend.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.