BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1992 400E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello from Vancouver BC

Hello Everyone,

buying a Mercedes was not on my radar. However on visiting my mechanic for the Peugeot's regular check up I was smitten like a teenager with his first crush (damn, that was a long time ago) by a Black 1992 400E. The Black is so rich that I suspect the paint is original to the car. It has plus one wheel conversion and has been slightly lowered. It carries AMG badging on the front engine compartment rail.

The car still scares the hell out of me with it's awesome presence. I still cannot believe I own it although I did a lot of work to get it.

I am starting to get comfortable with the idea of owning the car. I am here to get help with keeping this fabulous car as well maintained as possible.

I am getting tired of people telling me how much my repair bills are going to be when it breaks down. As far as I am concerned this is just a peculiar form of envy.

I have owned my 400 E for about a month now and I am completely blown away by the quality of the build of this car. My brief research tells me that it's quality is not to be equaled now except with the very top Mercedes models.

Anyway thats enough for now. I look forward to getting to know this community.

Last edited by 400 Einspritzer; 07-21-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Syntax
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Hey welcome fellow Vancouverite! Good choice by the way as that generation of E-Class is very solid! Plus it has the nice V8 engine in it too which is typically more rare.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1992 400E
(Thread Starter)

Hello All,

just updating.

All I can say is thanks to all the people who have posted DIY information.

Since reading posts I have come up with solutions for:

Getting my tach and clock running.

Exhaust upgrade from the "Quiet Muffler Solution" to something more in keeping with this car.

I have yet to get the car up on the hoist and find out how much of the original AMG exhaust is left. Right now the car is either super quite or, if I push it, like a sack of hammers rattling around in the exhaust system.......ECH.

Sending the Becker back to the factory for an exchange or repair. Right now the sound is like UGH....I say to myself: "This is a quality product, it must have treble somewhere in the circuitry".

Check the $4000.00 brake job the last owner had done to the car two years ago. Right now there is a sound coming of the front brakes as if a person is using their finger to make a crystal glass ring. I suspect a dirty piston.

For the future, wheels and tyres, but there are already serviceable 16" wheels and tyres on the car so it's at the bottom of the list.

When going through the purchase ritual I over heard the last owner referring to the car as a "pig" lamenting how it was even sluggish changing lanes on the highway. This problem was quickly solved by the addition of 40lbs of air pressure to all tires. I was wondering why the tyre edges were burned off, mainly because the car was running on the tyre edges lol. Thirty pounds will not do it on tyres that say forty on the side wall.

That's all for now folks.

Happy motoring I'm of to dress my interior leather today. The interior of the car was covered in a layer of filth.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: