LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Legit Service requirements?

I took my C230 in for a service B today, and was told I have the following services due, which btw, were not covered under my service B, adding up to a grand total of $760. Can someone tell me if these are required or just another way for the dealership to get more money from me?

Break Fluid Flush (required every 2 years). $120
Transmission Service (required once in the transimission lifetime - something about checking for metal). $525
Air Filters $115
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Break?

Brake Fluid flushes are indeed recommended every 2 years. No, you don't HAVE to get it flushed, but it's recommended.

Transmission flush should be done at about 40K miles. Then, 40-50K miles thereafter. No one in their right mind would drive a car with 150,000 miles worth of one transmission oil and filter change. Lifetime or not.

Air Filters. Duh! If they're dirty, then yes, you should have them replaced. How would you like to breathe through a straw while you're running?

Now, the brake fluid flush.. That's reasonable. If you were to do it yourself you'd be looking at about $150 for a power flusher, a couple of QTs of good brake fluid and of course, your time.

Transmission service: A little steep, IMHO. But not by much. You figure you'll be looking at around $350 in parts, so 175 bucks in labor isn't bad. It's even better since you don't have to crawl under the car to do it.

Air Filters: A little spendy. I bet you can get the same filters from NAPA for a ton less. But GET THEM CHANGED if they are dirty.

If it has boobs or pistons, it's gonna be expensive.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Guess I should pay more attention to my spellings huh....serves me right to be working and posting at the same time!

Thanks for the advice...I am not mechanically inclined, and I didn't want the dealership to take advantage of the girl who brought her car in for a service...

As for the transmission service...don't they change the transmission fluid during the service B? The guy explained this one to be to ensure there wasn't any small pieces of metal, so that's why it has to be done once.

And now for the super girly question....where should I look to see if my air filters are dirty? :-/
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

The guy gave you the standard line.

What he didn't tell you was that at 50K miles you're out of factory warranty. If you don't change it at 40, and something happens between 40 and 50K miles MBUSA has to buy you a new tranny.

Of course, it's called a "lifetime" service life because they want to see you go back in 50-80K miles after the warranty expired, so they can sell you a new transmission after you blow the original one up.

As far as the air filters. What year C230?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
So the transmission service should be done every 50K? I know friends who have acuras and their transmission service is every 95K....

It's a 2007 C230...I saw some excellent DIY pics for air filter changge on the forum for a 2005 C230, but mine doesn't look the same..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 03:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

No, you should do it every 40 to 50 K. The sooner the better.

The 07 would be a W203. 4 cylinder or V6? Filter locations are not the same between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
It's a 6 cylinder
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 04:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Pop the hood.

Take engine cover off. Lift up on it.

Note the two "tubes" running from the front of the engine to some plastic boxes. Circled in Red.

Open those boxes up and you'll see the filters.

If there is a lot of crud in between the paper elements, replace the filters.

Actually, I'd replace them anyways. Wouldn't hurt anything, if nothing else, you'll get a better running engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2228-engine.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	320508  

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
wow, thanks for taking the time for the pic! you rock! now, is it going to be self-evident on how to open the boxes? :-D

are there specific filters that are better than others? I've seen some posts about not getting K&N filters... I am also confused cause I ran a search for air filters and the ones that came up appear to be different sizes (see link below):
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...art:Air+Filter)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 04:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

I don't know if the boxes are fastened with clips or if they have screws in them. Never seen the engine compartment on the C230 before, let alone take the air filters off.

I called my local NAPA parts guy:

Filter part number is: 6799

Price is: 32.79 for both filters. Most likely Mann filters, same manufacturer as the dealer filters, except the NAPA filters don't have the little MB star printed on the side of the filters.
Your price may be a couple of dollars less or more, depending on how big the city you live in is.

Stay away from Autopartswarehouse. They will sell you ANYTHING, be it correct or not.

K&N Air filters are fine for carbureted engines. Long explanation, but the short version is, yes, they work well on Fuel Injected Vehicles, so long as you don't go Wide Open Throttle. Save your cash and get regular paper filters.

ps. Welcome.

Last edited by Digital Oxygen; 07-20-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in