BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SL and 1994 C280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinhorse34
(Thread Starter)
Door Locks / Sunroof Issues 94 C280

Hey folks I have a couple of problems. For some reason my door locks stopped working. The trunk lock stopped at the same time. I am not sure where to begin...Fuse box, vaccum pump, etc... It's a 94 C280. Then to make matters worse....After trying to figure out the door locks for the last couple of days.....My wife came home and told me that the sunroof was not closing properly. After taking a good look at it, She was absolutely correct. Definately not closing right. From the outside, It looks like it is properly closed but when you look at it from the inside you can see where it is not seted properly. Also the "Vent" flips up and open without a problem but when you attempt to open the moonroof it will not open since it is not closed correctly and as such it can not slide back correctly. I never had a problem with either the door locks or moonroof before. Any suggestions as to where to start ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Why not start with your remote key?

If you press the push-buttom for more than 1 second, you should see a red LED light on the remote to confirm that your batteries are OK. If not, change them.

Is there an internal switch on model W202 that open/closes all your doors. If so, is that working?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Good Ideas...Keyhole

Yes the internal switch on the dash works fine but as far as the remote......I bought the car aprox 4-5 years ago and never had the remote. I really didn't even give a remore much thought when the folks I bought it from didn't have one for the car. I also took the fuse out this morning and checked it, It was not blown. Now it's starting to look like it may be a loose connection somewhere, the vaccum pump or a leak in the lines someplace. I have been soing a lot ofreading this morning.......lol Any more ideas.....I could use all the help and ideas you can give me.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinhorse34 View Post
....Any more ideas.....I could use all the help and ideas you can give me.
Just to clarify..

1. You have no remote fob? So you are opening the driver's door with the 'mechanical' key which comes with the remote? This does not normally have 'central locking' ability. Or do you have something else?

2, Does the key you normally use open all doors together or just the driver's door?

3. Does this key function in both the driver's and passenger side?

The heart of the W202 pneumatic door control is called the pneumatic system equipment (PSE) control module (A37). It is located behind the right side panelling in the trunk (in foam support)

If the interior door switch is locking/unlocking your doors, this unit and all the vacuum lines connected to the door actuators must be working fine.

All I can think of here is that when you insert and turn your key (in the driver's door) the lock is faulty, and is not sending the right output signal to SAM N10/1, which communicates to the PSE.

If you can remove the driver's door panelling you may find a wire has pulled off.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I think that we are starting to narrow the problem down.

Keyhole,

Nope...I don't have and never had a key fob. I have always just stuck the actual key in the door to lock and unlock it.

Yes....the mechanical key does, or at least did, lock and unlock all the doors, gas filler cover and the trunk when it was turned.

The key only worked in the drivers door and the trunk. I used to think that it was a "Valet" key but a valet key wouldn't open the trunk or glove box and my key would, it just didn't work on the passengers side.

I am going to take the drivers door panel off and check to see if I can find a loose connection or a wire pulled off as you suggested and then go from there.

I had never heard of the PSE Module nor the SAM N10/1. Something else I need to read up on....lol One other thing that might help figure this out is......When I do put the key in the drivers door and turn it, It feels like it just turns freely and is not turning anything. Maybe it is the lock??? It is most definately starting to sound like a faulty lock since the internal dash switch seems to be working fine. I guess the drivers door and lock is without a doubt the right place to start.

While I am reading up...Anything else you can think of before.......I start working on my sunroof problem....lol
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Outstanding Contributor

When I referred to the 'mechanical key', that is the term that M-B use for the very small emergency key that is stowed within the remote fob that is supplied when the car is new. It is only to open the driver's door and the trunk - (when the remote battery is flat) and not for use in the ignition switch. Your key is clearly not that one.

I've now had a chance to look at the WIS drawings involved here, which I am attaching for your interest. Even getting to door covers off is not for the faint-hearted, as you will see when you read the steps required.

If the 'inner door actuation linkage' has dropped off, you would probably get your fault, but if you get the cover off the problem might be clear to see.

Note the use of 'wedges' to ease items out. Something you can make yourself.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W202 door lock.pdf (806.8 KB, 327 views)
File Type: pdf W202 door liner.pdf (663.0 KB, 397 views)
File Type: pdf W202 door lock switch.pdf (320.0 KB, 302 views)

Last edited by keyhole; 07-04-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: text error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in