LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Mercedes R350 Problems

Hello everyone, recently I got into some nasty stuff with my r350. So these past couple of days my car has been insanely low. Sooner or a later, a message popped up indicating that the car is too low and you should not drive it.

I took the car straight to the dealer. Next day they diagnosed it and said it was an airmatic problem and it would cost $1385 to fix it. Now the warranty on my car has expired so I don't really have anything. I have no idea how this could have happened as the car has been driven only 30k. I'm literally living from paycheck to paycheck and have no money at all to fix this problem. What do you guys recommend? Is there a way to get out of this without paying that much money? If not, would you recommend I trade the car or something? Also, why does that piece cost so much.......?

Please help. Thanks. God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Get rid of the car now! It will only get worse as time goes by. If you are living paycheck to paycheck, that means you should be driving a 10 year old Honda Civic, not a Mercedes (or in this case a Chrysler minivan with a star on the hood and an ugly low quality design). You should have done your research before you purchased this mess. There is no way to get out of it for no money. You could use aftermarket parts and a shade-tree mechanic, but chances are it will break again in no time. Even if you use genuine parts with dealer service, it will fail again within 30-50k miles. It isn't called crapmatic for nothing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sadly the airmatic is problematic for many owners of Mercedes, perhaps due to a faulty design or maybe maintenance failures, who knows. It is costly to repair. You may wish to ask in the forum dedicated to the R-class elsewhere on this site and see if there is a way to replace the system with standard springs, but I have no idea really if that is an option. It would prevent the matter from occurring again in the future.

While the previous poster stated such in a more forthright manner, it is true that these vehicles are costly to maintain so if your finances don't currently permit the ability to perform maintenance and repairs, you may want to look for something more reliable in the meantime and come back to Mercedes when you are again in a better position. If you are concerned about expenses you certainly don't need to added stress of worrying about how much the next big repair bill will be.

Your vehicle does have still have a fair amount of value to it being relatively "young" but probably only after you get the repairs done. If you choose to sell it I would do so only after it is fixed or the hit you take on it will probably be bigger than the repair cost since most potential buyers won't even consider a car with such a problem, at least not at a fair price to you.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
i understand dealer service people privately refer to the R class as the Alabama Trash Can - making the full name the Alabama Trash Can with Crapmatic. A little research can go a long way when it comes to car shopping. Time to sell.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's a big, nearly truck-size vehicle and parts are big and expensive.

The price quote sounds pretty normal.

You are under the normal 50K warranty mileage limit and must be only months out of warranty. See if your service advisor will apply for a "good will" replacement of some or all of the parts This is the sort of consideration earned, of course, by taking your vehicle to the dealer for regular servicing.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation

Thank you for taking your time to reply guys. I appreciate it. After the insights about the crapmatic, I believe that I should disgard it before more trouble comes the way. Btw, I did fix the part which cost me about 1k. I had to get some help with the $$. Now what should I do from here? Would it be wise to trade-in the car or sell it? If so, why?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:42 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquish39 View Post
Thank you for taking your time to reply guys. I appreciate it. After the insights about the crapmatic, I believe that I should disgard it before more trouble comes the way. Btw, I did fix the part which cost me about 1k. I had to get some help with the $$. Now what should I do from here? Would it be wise to trade-in the car or sell it? If so, why?
I would sell it now, private sale. Having an invoice in hand proving that you just did the number one most common failure repair, on this vehicle, is a big plus. Find some uneducated soccer mom who thinks that because there is a star on the hood, it must be a Mercedes, and sell it to her. You will just end up getting deeper in a repair mess if you keep driving this thing.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation

I'm also thinking to let it have this problem 2 more times so I can lemon it? What do you think?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
your car no longer falls under the lemmon law. lemmon law is usually only when a new car has this issue several times and has been repaired several times. if your car is already out of warranty you no longer qualify. if you cant afford the repairs then you need to get rid of the car or get an extended warranty. if you cant afford the car i agree with what was said above, get yourself a old honda where repairs are extremely cheap.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2015
Wow, wish we would have researched this car before we bought it. It was leaning before we bought it in 2013. It's now leaning again,
won't start without a jump and smells like oil is burning after a short drive. Please Mercedes replace my car with something better. I have a 2006 R350 4matic - go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in