Oil change on a 2007 ML350 - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
That reminds me a topic in W163 section where young member got 17 liters of oil in his crankcase after draining transmission.
Those engines have no open breathers. All the normal fumes are directed to the intake.
Something got disconnected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Two problems.

1. Oil cited is not suitable for Mercedes as 229.5 or 229.51 is not printed on the bottle.

There are only two versions of Mobil 1 suitable, and they are 0W-40 European Formula and 5W-40 Formula M ESP.

2. Fram is probably the least regarded oil filter available and the Internet is filled with negative reviews.

It should also be known that when a drain plug is removed on a German vehicle, the washer (crush washer) is replaced and never reused.

This silly owner got everything he deserved by

1. not reading his owners manual to determine correct oil

2. taking his vehicle to a cheapo oil change place.

Folks need to understand that German vehicles and 'merikun iron are apples and oranges and the dropouts working at quickie change places haven't a clue.

I'd check to verify all the under-engine sound panels are still connected with all the intended screws.

It takes a real fool to purchase a vehicle brand where the local dealer is not to be trusted ... although in 90-99% of the cases the problem is with the car owner and NOT the dealer. If you don't have a good Mercedes dealer where you live, why would you own one? It is simply FANTASY to think one can get along without dealer support. It's also FANTASY to think that folks that are highly trained to deal with machines as sophisticated as Mercedes should work for minimum wage. Grow up.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I think I have it sorted out now, the problem was the oilfilter was not tight enough, the oil pump has a lot of force and any slackness in the oil filter will result in oil getiing past and dripping down onto the exhaust system which was causing the fumes and obviously the dripping oil.

I have refitted a new oil filter and tightened the oil filter down bearing in mind that these are plastic and could shear the threads with over excertion of force.

I hope this has finished the problem, I will let you know sortly after some use.

Ikchris, the oil is the one for the vehicle Mobile 5W 30, and for your information I have owned a large number of mercedes for over 30 years, in 3 different countries, I have been invited to Mercedes rally days as well as factory visits in Bremen Germany, not bad for a silly owner, what did you get, a key ring or traveler mug for your purchases. Also I did not get a fram filter but a Purolator, my bad for miss reporting.

I am not an idiot, but from what I can see that owning a Mercedes in the USA leads you to be over charged for unecessary work and having to be all ways on your guard when taking your vehicle in for servicing. In the UK and Spain they do not resort to the US tactics, they just do their jobs to a high professional level which makes their customers comfortable and satisfied, they set the onboard computer to 13,000 miles between services and not 9000 as my local dealership does just to get you back in there sooner.

Yup I am not an idiot just somebody who asks for advice and get abuse from forum members who through their complacency feeds the high prices and bad practices that abounds out there in the USA under the banner of democracy, now why is it that the majority of states in the USA are buyer beware states?

I am am just a careful consumer getting value for my buck!

Last edited by degsey69; 06-21-2010 at 01:46 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Degsey69 - a belated welcome to the forum and I hope you visit again. Take no notice of Ikchris - I think that he got out of bed the wrong side today......

I see that you have posted in the General MB forum. If you scroll down all the forums here, you will see, under the MB SUV group, that your W164 M Class has its own forum where owners of your model can swap problems & ideas.

Take a look though there. Also, use the Search facility ^^^ to find what is in the archives on any topic - most problems have been covered in the past 8 years.

Re the oil filter, there will be a stated torque for tightening up this item. On my M112 engine it is 25 Nm. Guessing is not a good idea.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 02:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by degsey69 View Post
I think I have it sorted out now, the problem was the oilfilter was not tight enough, the oil pump has a lot of force and any slackness in the oil filter will result in oil getiing past and dripping down onto the exhaust system which was causing the fumes and obviously the dripping oil.

I have refitted a new oil filter and tightened the oil filter down bearing in mind that these are plastic and could shear the threads with over excertion of force.

I hope this has finished the problem, I will let you know sortly after some use.
The filter cap should not be leaking if it is partially tightened, it is the O-ring preventing the leak and it does not get any tighter when the cap is tightened. Tightening the cap to the specified torques keeps it from opening.

You did not comment the O-ring position, I guess you did check it?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
The filter cap should not be leaking if it is partially tightened, it is the O-ring preventing the leak and it does not get any tighter when the cap is tightened. Tightening the cap to the specified torques keeps it from opening.

You did not comment the O-ring position, I guess you did check it?
Actualy it was either the wrong torque on the fliter cap or the o ring, I know by my experience today that if you do not tighten it down sufficiently it will leak badly about 2 liters or 4 qts before I spotted it and shut the engine off.

So after tightening it properly and test driving it around for 30 minutes all is well.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Good to hear you've got it fixed.
I would double what DB said about the oring sealing the cap with no torque required.
The oring slides into the opening several millimeters and although I never tried -it will very likely still hold even if you make full turn out.
In scuba, where we have orings operating at over 2000 psi, we do only finger tight on the fittings. The pressure seats the orings and holds them strong.
So I suspect that your oring was somehow messed up to leak and although tightening might fix it for now -I would carry spare one with me.
Comparing US to European mechanics - there is a reason why all American cars have spin-on filters where there are no orings mechanics have to touch.
You don't have to take your Mercedes to US dealer, but find independent mechanic that is qualified for Mercedes.
Taking it to a joint where the person doing oil change was flipping burgers a week ago is asking for troubles.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My confession.
Dear MB God:
When the odometer read past 48K miles, warranty was out, I started the DYI oil changes every 4K miles via the drain plug and became a dependent of Pep Boys/Kragen. All the oil filters were Fram. The oil has been conventional 10W-40, the brands were either Shell, Chevron, Castrol or whatever on sale. The car now got 125K miles. It has not burned any oil between oil changes. No leak yet. Please forgive me because I've been using the same drain plug and washer through all these years.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 03:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by degsey69 View Post
Well I do complain about Mercedes shop prices and the unecessary work they charge you for when you take it in for an oil change. However in this case somebody made a mistake somewhere. I know there was no overfill as I gave them 10 qts and got back about 1.5 and as you know this is a 8.5 capacity engine, also the oil level is now down to the minimum without the oil light coming on.

By the way I know the oil went in to the right level and for everybodies information this shop has done excellent work in the past and I like to support local business's especialy in my county which has a high unemployment level.

Yes I did look under the hood, flipped back the cover, the oil filter is tight and there is only oil coming out when the engine is running and I think that is through the breather. As the oil has been changed I am going to take out the old filter and replace it and refill with oil. I should see what has been going on for myself.
because you wanted to save a few bucks, look at what you went through in the process. you had to have spent $60 at least in parts and another $30 for the oil change is about $40 less then the dealer. $40 is nothing. and got an oil change and left with oil all over your car. then you spent the time trying to figure out where it came from. now you have to clean the car or take it back to the shop for them to do it. now it could have all been avoided by spending the extra money and been done with it. now i agree dealers mess up i have messed up but never messed up an oil change. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to change oil. and i just dont believe your oil filter was the cause of the leak as how you described it. if you had smoke puring out the engine and oil was now at minimum on the dipstick then it should have been easily spotted. a oil filter has to have not even been installed all the way for oil to come out the filter cap. a hand tight cap will noty even allow oil out as how you described it. but if the cap was that loose it shows a tech who wasnt watching his steps. prfobably loosened the cap and installed a filter and figured he would leave it loose and tighten it later. raised the car drained the oil then lowered the car and went to lunch, came back and refilled the oil and pulled the car out. didnt even check to see if there were any leaks after running the car. again you saved some money but had the agrivation of an oil leak. to me its just like going to the store. walgreens is 2 minutes down the road and walmart is about 15 minutes away. walmart is cheaper and i like going there but its more conveinent to go to walgreens and spend less time being out. yea i paid more but so what. i ghot what i needed and was done.

Last edited by Streetglower; 06-22-2010 at 03:39 AM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Post YES AND NO...

Degsey69:

The Mobil 1 (ESP) 5W30 meets only MB spec 229.51, meaning it is only for diesel engines and should not be used in gasoline engines due to its low sulfur content.
The Mobil SHC Formula MB 5W30 does meet spec MB 229.5, but is not a Mobil 1 oil.

From your description you are using the wrong oil in the M272 engine. It looks as if you were caught by the epidemic virus you think affected IKChris, namely rely on obsolete info applying to earlier MB cars.

As for the Purolator filter, it seems not to be a fleece filter as specified by MB for synthetic long-life oils. As for the O-rings fitting, either one or several O-rings came from the vendor with a cut (defective commercial floor-sweep quality) or they were carelessly assembled and damaged then.

My humble opinion if you wish to spend as little as possible is "stay away from places that start with Jiffy, Quick, or the like. As advised above find an independent mechanic you can trust and take advantage of his talents close as a nose guard tries to be from the back with the ball.

IKChris:

I agree that the cheapo places are no place to go but, not going to the dealer even during the warranty period (no choice after evaluation of the only game in town), I rather recommend a qualified independent mechanic, with a clean shop and all the equipment needed to do his work properly. Price should not be a factor, unless is obscene.

This is not only because dealers I've met through the years use the Harvard "Today's Strategic Planning" which during the fat cow periods wish no friends and, generally deservedly so, customers retribution in kind is given every chance they get. So I select their services sparingly and rely upon the big bad world around them.

But I see that lots of users are too "busy" to touch an owners' manual and expect too much from wherever they go, adopting afterward the naïve attitude of indignation behind the "I relied upon them because I do not understand mechanics" refuge. So these deserve everything they get.

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in