post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ignition + Dealership PROBLEMS! help...

Car: C320 2001
Problem: Key does not turn to start the engine, no sound when key inserted in the switch.

I thought towing the car to the dealership would be the fastest and most reliable way to solve the problem.
After 3 hours of diagnosis they told me the problem was from the steering lock controller (or module), replacing it cost me 800$ and 2 days without my car.

Today they called me to tell me that the problem was not solved, and now I need a new key, another key for programming AND switch! which will make my final bill around 2,200$!!!!! AND THEY DON'T PROMISE THAT THIS WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!!!!

I am totally lost and frustrated and dunno what to do, they insist that the part they already changed was faulty besides the others, which does not make sense to me,,, any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Get rid of the car?

Expensive electronic and build quality malfunctions are very typical of a first year C320. It will only get worse (and more expensive) from here.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Actually this is what i am thinking about right now, but do you mean sell it, or throw it??
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 06:11 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salloum View Post
Actually this is what i am thinking about right now, but do you mean sell it, or throw it??
Bring it somewhere else to get fixed at a much cheaper cost (stick used parts in there if possible), then sell the car and promise me you won't get another Chrysler with a star on the hood.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
Bring it somewhere else to get fixed at a much cheaper cost (stick used parts in there if possible), then sell the car and promise me you won't get another Chrysler with a star on the hood.
Despite the deep sh#t i am in right now, you made me smile!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Despite the deep sh#t i am in right now, you made me smile!
Good, now start making some for sale signs.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Sounds like they are shotgunning your problem. I'd find another dealer or Indy for a 2nd opinion. $2200 sounds a bit high to fix your problem.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
Sounds like they are shotgunning your problem. I'd find another dealer or Indy for a 2nd opinion. $2200 sounds a bit high to fix your problem.
Exactly! This is what I told them, it's trial and error not fixing! Replacing all the parts with new ones will eventually solve the problem, and this is what they are doing,,, definitely I am not paying 2200$ for them not only because it's a lot of money, but also it's very possible that they are still way off the right part.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Car: C320 2001
Problem: Key does not turn to start the engine, no sound when key inserted in the switch.

I thought towing the car to the dealership would be the fastest and most reliable way to solve the problem.
After 3 hours of diagnosis they told me the problem was from the steering lock controller (or module), replacing it cost me 800$ and 2 days without my car.

Today they called me to tell me that the problem was not solved, and now I need a new key, another key for programming AND switch! which will make my final bill around 2,200$!!!!! AND THEY DON'T PROMISE THAT THIS WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!!!!

I am totally lost and frustrated and dunno what to do, they insist that the part they already changed was faulty besides the others, which does not make sense to me,,, any suggestions???
The rule was "Never have a disabled car towed to the dealer."
Do you have the paperwork from the first fix ($800)? Get a written estimate on the second fix ($1400). Take the car back, pay the dealer $800, sue them in small claim court to get $800 back for not fixing the problem with the first attempt. When the judge sees the trade in value of your car from kbb.com ($6800) and $2200 for some electronic parts at the steering column, I believe he/she will be on your side. Get all the paperwork in the right order including print out from kbb.com before going to court. Tell your story exactly like you told it here. Be civil.
Good luck.

Last edited by mbvis; 06-16-2010 at 01:09 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvis View Post
The rule was "Never have a disabled car towed to the dealer."
Do you have the paperwork from the first fix ($800)? Get a written estimate on the second fix ($1400). Take the car back, pay the dealer $800, sue them in small claim court to get $800 back for not fixing the problem with the first attempt. When the judge sees the trade in value of your car from kbb.com ($6800) and $2200 for some electronic parts at the steering column, I believe he/she will be on your side. Get all the paperwork in the right order including print out from kbb.com before going to court. Tell your story exactly like you told it here. Be civil.
Good luck.
I really can't thank you enough for your valuable advice, especially that some professional guy gave me exactly the same advice. He told me to do the following:
Give them a chance to fix the car with the 800$, if they refused or that didn't happen he told me that by law I can DEMAND my car, and they can't hold it for any reason (I haven't paid the 800$ yet), then it will be their problem to go to court to ask for the 800$ (which most likely they won't do).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in