post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Considering first Benz, appreciate advice

Howdy!

Am new to this forum, so hopefully this post can be helpful to me and others.

I am considering purchasing my first Mercedes and have numerous questions and concerns.

Looking at used 2007-2008 E350, or maybe 05-06 S500. All in the 30k-60k mileage. Hope to keep it for about 10 years if pleased.

My biggest concerns are maintenance and repair costs. Am pretty mechanical so have always done routine oil changes on my vehicles, and most other mechanical work. Don't really trust anyone to work on my vehicles!

In my little research into service schedules looks like oil, filter, inspection, and other routine stuff I can do myself.

Just don't know about major problems, especially electronic. Have to see shop for that type of work.
Own 96 Lexus ES300 now, and had since 98, and NEVER been in a shop. Just done routine maintenance. Only has about 85K miles, but just aged. Drive very few miles, less than 6000 miles per year as work from home.

Just would like to know if I will be ok doing my own services, and other maintenance without a problem.
And, if the listed models above are good options considering the past poor reliability ratings.
Any other issues I should look at or recommendations.

Thanks VERY much, any, and all feedback appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I say go for the S class, and if you have been maintaining an older car for all these years the S might be a little easier to maintain
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 09:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Well ... unless you are a power freak, there is E320 cdi, or Bluetec and nothing for long after.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:11 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The late model E350 is going to be a better bet for you. It will break less, cost less to maintain and is slightly more up to date with electronics. The most important thing is that is does not have airmatic! If you get the S, plan to have at least one major airmatic failure that will cost at least $1000 per axle failure and you will need to be towed to get it fixed. Either car will be less reliable then your ES and both will cost a lot more to maintain over the life of the vehicle then the Lexus. You might just consider getting a ES350 from 07-08.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 2004 S430
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I may be a bit biased but i love the S class, the car has been reliable and as long as they are maintained they will last. While powerseller does have a valid point about the airmatic being problematic i have typically seen the problems on the 2000-2003 models and i have never had a problem with it and i am at close to 140,000 miles. My s class is still rock solid after all these years and all of those miles it still looks and feels new. I would say take each respective one out and drive it, see which one you enjoy and which features suit you.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well Said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in