LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jun 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Would you buy this car? (w123)

It's an 85 300TD, it has 320,000 miles, not the best paint, or interior, but I'm not buying it for that. It would be my personal grease car, and it already has an extra fuel filter installed for just such a thing.

Has a small oil leak, small radiator fluid leak. By small, I mean a couple of drops every now and again. I saw where she sleeps, and it's not bad at all.

Probably needs vacuum pump work. 3/4 of the windows work, but the locks are manual.

High miles, and the condition of the exterior, and interior as already stated. Not completely garbage, but not the greatest either. I guess a 5/10 or 4/10 for both, some where around there.

Has been in an accident at some point in it's life. I couldn't tell, but the shop could. (More on the shop later)

Starts immediately. Seems to be in pretty good mechanical shape, was owned by a mercedes mechanic before current owner, and hw's only had it for 5 months or so. He's used it for several ~1000 mile round trips with no problems.

All windows (except rear passenger) work, as does sunroof, and ac.

2 spares, and upgraded speakers (no head unit).

Only $2500!!

Just need to replace fuel lines to run biodiesel, already runs wvo perfectly fine, I live in the southern us, so I should be able to run on wvo or biodiesel for a little longer than northerners.

The owner seems pretty stand up, he was showing me things wrong with the car that I wouldn't have noticed, such as one of the blinker assemblies comes out of place sometimes, but it was all minor stuff like that.

We took it by one shop, and they didn't even charge me, they just told me to run from it. (I picked the shop, but I was flying a little blind, I just found a place on his side of town.) Now I appreciate such advice, but the owner told me (previous to the grading of his vehicle) that this shop had tried to overcharge him on a repair once, he told them to **** off, and then the next day they call him, trying to buy the car for a discount price. Seems a little shady... He then took the car by another place, and it was a minor fix.

Now the car is at the shop he usually gets to service the vehicle, getting a second opinion. Now I am a little worried about the bias in this situation, but the guy seems to have a really honest character, we chatted quite a bit, including a few beers at the bar while we waited for the first shop to finish their inspection, so I think I have a pretty good gauge of his character, and I don't think he'd try to screw me over.

Sorry for the long ass post, but considering all that, and let's say it gets a good grade from the shop it's at now, buy or pass?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 10:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Nope. And I didn't even read much of your post.
I sold W123 about 8 years ago and am not looking back.
Just like I am not looking back at used toilet paper.
Maybe not exactly, W123 might be classic for some, but having a choice - I refuse to drive a fuel guzzler with no air bags and no ABS.
Bought W124 with ABS and airbag for $2000 just couple months ago.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jul 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I'd say unless u have plenty of time on your hands, I wouldn't go for a car like this.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: