post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Aircon radiator fan problem

Hello
I have a 1997 C-class 250 turbodiesel on which only one of the 2 aircon radiator fans ever runs... is this normal? If its that the fan is broken, does anyone know of a link to a "how-to" sort of page showing how to get the things off and how to acces the electrical input for testing?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:15 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
No, that is not normal. I'm surprised the A/C has been cooling very well and/or the car running too hot. Sounds like one of the fan motors is seized. Try spinning it by hand. If it doesn't move then it needs to be replaced.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The 1998 E-Class (not a diesel) I used to own had 2 fans but only one was motored and the other was driven by a belt connected to the fan with the motor. So in other words the belt might be missing.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
The 1998 E-Class (not a diesel) I used to own had 2 fans but only one was motored and the other was driven by a belt connected to the fan with the motor. So in other words the belt might be missing.
I think if his fan belt was snapped, the car would be melting if he was continuing to drive it. I think he is talking about the aux condenser cooling fans.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
You might be correct but "2 aircon radiator fans" is a bit ambiguous. Maybe the OP will clarify? My car was not overheating when that belt was discovered to be missing but I don't remember what time of year that was.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:54 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
You might be correct but "2 aircon radiator fans" is a bit ambiguous. Maybe the OP will clarify? My car was not overheating when that belt was discovered to be missing but I don't remember what time of year that was.
Your fan belt had snapped and you didn't notice it and kept driving the car??? I guess it would be possible at the North Pole or if you had a very small econobox 4 cylinder, but otherwise I don't believe it. The belt normally explodes and wrecks at least one other thing in the engine bay, then you car starts overheating and/or melting if you keep driving.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
Your fan belt had snapped and you didn't notice it and kept driving the car??? I guess it would be possible at the North Pole or if you had a very small econobox 4 cylinder, but otherwise I don't believe it. The belt normally explodes and wrecks at least one other thing in the engine bay, then you car starts overheating and/or melting if you keep driving.
Not the serpentine belt, the tiny fan belt connecting the 2 fans that I described. They said it is about the thickness of a rubber band.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies. In fact the fan turns very easily by hand, and it has to be said the aircon isn't wonderfully effective... it does run a bit hot in the summer, but nowhere near the red on the temperature guage. I think Musikmann's idea about a small belt linking the two fans is a real possibility, but I can't see any obvious place it should be fitted - has anyone else seen this system before, is it the usual thing on this model? Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the big fan mounted on the inside of the main radiator (which is turned by the serpentine belt) but the two small fans mounted right on the outside front of the vehicle which are presumably electrically activated whenever the A/C is turned on.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Take a closer look at both fans. Usually one has big center with motor in it and the other just smaller center with pulley in it. The belt is not visible behind the grille. You have to remove the covers to see where it is missing. Shop around since those small belts cost well over $20.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Take a closer look at both fans. Usually one has big center with motor in it and the other just smaller center with pulley in it. The belt is not visible behind the grille. You have to remove the covers to see where it is missing. Shop around since those small belts cost well over $20.
Hmm, the fans look absolutely identical. I guess I'll just have to take them off and have a thorough look!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in