Torsion Bars, Torque Converter/Transmission & Misc repairs/dods...HELP! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Torsion Bars, Torque Converter/Transmission & Misc repairs/dods...HELP!

2000 ML55, 115k miles, bought 3/10, car spent 9 years in Cali, ocean side.

***Creaking sound from torsion bars??
In drive-way, mechanic friend lay under ML(he’s a little fella) while I engaged drive and reverse rollin abour 3-4 feet in each direction. He was almost certain its the torsion barsbut doesn’t know much about them.
I also read a post on here somewhere stating that you could turn the torsion bars and it would lower or tighten up the suspension somehow??

***Clacking or tapping sound coming from transmission area?
Mechanic friend thinks it’s the torque converter as his Jeep did the same thing.
The noise is heard while in any gear but while idle, not heard under acceleration or normal driving…almost sounds like a lifter noise…but its not.
Transmission doesn’t always perform right, kinda feels like a governor is on it.
Also got stuck in second gear a few times under heavier acceleration around corners and such.
Is this more of my transmission going bad or isolated to torque converter?

Considering deleting resonator and 2nd catalytic converters replacing with straight pipes.
I’ve heard removing 2nd cats will throw off codes but supposedly there’s an O2 sensor bypass to remedy??
(OEM airbox/filter removed, replaced with LARGE open air K&N cylinder filter)

Looking to replace what seems to be factory shocks(115k miles) with Bilstein HD all the way. Will this bring some snap back into the handling?? Doesn’t seem to take corners as flat and absorb average street conditions.

I’ve ordered a new harmonic balancer because I heard it was important to replace these. After receiving it I read a handful of postings about a lightweight performance pulley but cannot seem to find one for the ML55 but for most of the other AMG series.
With 115k miles, is it time to replace this part and/or how do you check it to see if it wearing out?

Are the Iridium plugs with the extra $???

Sorry such a long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin caudill View Post
Sorry such a long post.
Justin - these forums generally address one topic at a time - under the relevant subject heading. This helps folks find issues in the archives. So your post is a bit of a no/no.

Also, if you had scrolled down the forum page you would have discovered that there is a dedicated forum just for your W163. You have posted your multi-question post in the General Forum. Either re-post in the right place, or expect the moderator to move you there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in