Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Purchased my CarSoft 7.4 Diagnostic system

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  CHUCHO 
#1 ·
Here is the link

more info obd2

TOTAL was $121.72 with shipping, comes from Washington, inside the US.

It works fairly well. It brings the software with installation instructions. The installation is somewhat complex but not impossible. The interface is somewhat plain. The data is presented in basic text form. In my opinion it is not for beginners, you need to have a bit of computer and mechanical knowledge to utilize this system efficiently but I don’t think it would be hard to learn the necessary steps to use it successfully.

I would say it gets the job done. It is nothing like the Star diagnostic system but for the price it's a great deal. Will diagnose pretty much everything the Star system will. I have used it in my 97 W210 and worked well.

WARNING!!!!!!!
**YOU DO NEED A LAPTOP OR DESKTOP WITH A SERIAL PORT CONNECTION!! ALSO KNOWN AS DB-9 CONNECTION. THIS IS SOMEWHAT OUTDATED TECHNOLOGY. IT LOOKS JUST LIKE A MONITOR CONECTOR BUT IT HAS 9 PINS INSIDE. MOST NEW LAPTOPS DO NOT HAVE THIS CONNECTION**
It claims model from 87-03 I believe.

Any questions please feel free to post them here.

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks. i have the 97 e320 w210. bought a chinese multiplex. loaded software and computer works fine. serial comm port works so my computer guru tells me but wont communicate and keeps saying cable fault. tried other serial cable. still no go. the two lights on multi light up when plugged into car. no live data or any communication between car and laptop......frustrated now....thanks

#5 ·
You are using the wrong laptop.

#10 ·
Then simply do not behave like one. Even star Diagnostics only works with the older IBM T series and I use the latest Star.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.