LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
replacing a fender

I hit the fender on my s430(2000), and I was thinking to buy a new one from partstrain for 100$, get some spray paint from the dealereship(40$), and install it. The new fender is primed. I don't want to paint the hole car, unless absolutely necessary. Do you think is gonna work? How different will be the tint of this fender from the rest of the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:02 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Vehicle: 450SE, 280SE
well, if youre getting the paint from the dealership, there should be a high chance that the tint of the fender will be the same color assuming that you buy the right shades, however it is not always the case, my friends a few months ago have done something similar but it was to an older 180E (Brown in color), they had to respray the fender and part of the side panel of the front nose. They had bought the paint from an independent shop and the result was not as we expected, im thinking from errors made with the base mixing. Well if the fender is primed then im sure that it will turn out the desired tint/coloring
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
You have to be kidding??? right??

Do you honestly think that you could possibly duplicate factory paint with an aerosol spray can?? Well, you can't.....just in case this isn't a joke post.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
not kidding.. after seeing some poor jobs done by so called professionals, that cost those people around 600$ on hondas and toyotas( perhaps I'll have to pay 1000 for my s430), I decided that it's best to give it a shot. Today I ordered two cans of paint from dealership, which will arrive in two weeks( from Germany), and tomorrow I'll pick up an used original fender. I'll keep you posted.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1991 300E
I admire your spirit and wish you luck. Please let us know how it turns out. Before and after pictures would be great.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
From what I know factory paint is having at least 3 different coats. How many paints are you getting in cans?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 05:27 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by memet119 View Post
not kidding.. after seeing some poor jobs done by so called professionals, that cost those people around 600$ on hondas and toyotas( perhaps I'll have to pay 1000 for my s430), I decided that it's best to give it a shot. Today I ordered two cans of paint from dealership, which will arrive in two weeks( from Germany), and tomorrow I'll pick up an used original fender. I'll keep you posted.
Don't get your hopes up. Its going to look like hack job cr@p and it a complete waste of money and time. First, you never ever repaint a single panel on a car because you can never ever duplicate the paint color 100%. Even the factory has a batch to batch or day to day color variation. You need to paint any and all surrounding or adjoining panels to correctly blend the new color in. All painting must be done in an EPA approved 99.99999% dust-free paint booth (doubtful that you have). ANY dust in the air and your job is junk. You can't lay the paint evenly out of a spray can. You need steady compressed air and years of experience to lay flat coats. You cannot duplicate the cermiclear on your car either without a heat booth. It take several primer coats, top coats and clear coats plus wet-sanding to get a factory appearance.

Why don't you just sell the car now and get a Kia? If you are so set on pinching every coin on something you clearly know nothing about then a Mercedes is not for you.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
" Don't get your hopes up. Its going to look like hack job cr@p and it a complete waste of money and time. First, you never ever repaint a single panel on a car because you can never ever duplicate the paint color 100%. Even the factory has a batch to batch or day to day color variation. You need to paint any and all surrounding or adjoining panels to correctly blend the new color in. All painting must be done in an EPA approved 99.99999% dust-free paint booth (doubtful that you have). ANY dust in the air and your job is junk. You can't lay the paint evenly out of a spray can. You need steady compressed air and years of experience to lay flat coats. You cannot duplicate the cermiclear on your car either without a heat booth. It take several primer coats, top coats and clear coats plus wet-sanding to get a factory appearance"

are you a painter trying to convince me to take my car to a shop? maybe yours? surprise, surprise, today is not your lucky day. I live in Canada.
" EPA approved 99.99999% dust-free paint booth". are you for real?

"Why don't you just sell the car now and get a Kia? If you are so set on pinching every coin on something you clearly know nothing about then a Mercedes is not for you"

you post like an important, affluent person which you are really not, otherwise you would enjoy your nice secretaries and Maybachs instead on posting on a forum where many guys are so low that they fix themselves their mercs. with that avatar you should be a little bit more humble.

Last edited by memet119; 05-30-2010 at 06:47 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
at the end of this week or the next one I'll receive the cans. I ordered two which should be more than enough. they'll give me also two of clear coat.
tuesday perhaps I'll prime the fender.
I'm uploading a pic of it, it seems to me that in the real life it looks worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0152.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	310978  

Last edited by memet119; 05-30-2010 at 06:43 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 08:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So you can purchase a new fender for $100?

For every S-class made there's maybe 100 or maybe 1000 Chevies made, and I expect you can't get a Chevy fender for $100.

This IS a joke post.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in