#1 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:31 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile 3.2L MERCEDES BENZ AS USED ON SSANGYONG MUSSO 1996

I have just posted on Ssanyong musso site, troubles I have had over last eight months. As descibed the engine is the same as E320.
Bad idling and stalling was the problem, and a lot of money spent trying to correct this. This is a list that was done ,Remanufactured Throttle body, Computer and MAF sent away for testing proved OK, New oxygen sensor, new Air temp sensor, new plugs, new coil packs, Injectors removed and cleaned, compression test very good. after all this over this period and the fault remained, all other things like vacuum leaks and other sensors including wiring was ruled out.
A plastic cover over the front of the engine was removed to expose the Magnetic cam shaft actuator and the connector removed, the engine was started and much to my surprise the bad idling had disappeared, the RPM are a little higher about 1000 RPM but under the circumstances I can live with that. I shall leave the connector off for the time being until that can be identified, I hope this may help other with similair problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 02:45 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb Air Flow Meter

Hi,

I just fixed a similar problem with my 97 musso. Replacing the Air Flow meter fixed it. Interestingly just unplugging the air flow meter also fixed the problem, but this would not give optimum performance. For those that don't know, the air flow meter is a short piece of intake tube just after the air filter box. It is a bosch unit and you have to twist the plastic locking ring before you can unplug the cable that attaches to it.

My solution came from here:
ssangyong musso mercedes 3.2 motor dies on take ... - JustAnswer

Symptoms:
- Main symptom that caused me to look for fix was that the engine started to intermittently loose power and sometimes stall
- When stopping at traffic lights it would Idle very low, or it would surge and hunt wildly and uncontrollably between 500 to 2000 RPM. It was like the ignition cut out and then came on again, or like someone was reving the accelerator
- Sometimes it would idle ok and then it was like the ignition suddenly cut out and then came back on. Sometimes it would stall, but if it didn't then it would hunt as per above.
- When the engine was cold it was OK - I think because it automatically runs rich when cold - like choke. But after 5 mins or less of driving, issue would occur.
- Idle was not rough, except when it cut out
- when issue happened at lights, sometimes idle would go very low despite foot on accelerator and would have to push to wide open throttle. After 10 seconds or so it would go.
- A symptom that may be a precursor to full blown failure like the above is that it would stutter on takeoff. IE when you are stopped and go for the accelerator, it would die a bit then take off.

I hope this helps someone solve their issue.

Regards,
Feizex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.