LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A "NEW TO ME" 300E

Hi everyone ... Greetings from southern Indiana.

My name is John Washbush and I live very near Bloomington, Indiana. I am a recent escapee from the cold winters of Wisconsin and lovin' it here.

I have just realized a life long dream to own a Mercedes. I rode in a MB for the first time in Germany in 1989 and a few weeks ago I was able to acquire a 1989 300e, the very model in which I had my first ride. I am thrilled to death.

I don't know if the car adopted me, or if I rescued it, but the poor car had been badly neglected for a very long time. It stood outside under a tree for three or four years until just before I bought it. The neglect was obvious everywhere, something was wrong with everything. I drove it home and tinkered with it for six weeks or so before even trying to drive it on the road. Some parts were so brittle that they just disintegrated in my hand when trying to remove them. Everything fluid has been replaced as have all filters everywhere. Some tires, exhaust work, wiper blades, a LOT of light bulbs, plenty of SeaFoam lots of adjustments and tweeking and many fuses later, it is going again. After a couple months of care, and an awful lot of cleaning, it is now my daily driver and I am having the time of my life going back and forth to work. I can't imagine a more enjoyable car to drive, with the possible exception of a newer one.

There is much that remains to be done. Switches need to be replaced. As of yesterday, the antenna again goes up and down but two of the windows won't. Now the radio needs help. The passenger seat doesn't want to move and there are many other things. I am quickly creeping up on the edge of my ability to solve some of these German problems, especially those bigger projects under the hood. So, I joined this forum. I am hoping that you folks will be generous with advice for me and help steer me down the right path. The next thing to attack is the heating/ventilating system and a balky air conditioning system. It wants to work, it is trying hard, but it just can't make it.

I am an entheusiastic car guy, for sure. I have owned several Citroens, in addition to a couple dozen motorcycles, but the automobile is my real passion. So, I am looking forward to getting to know many of you. I hope that I will make a good participating member.

Thanks for making this forum available.

More later ...

John Washbush
Heltonville, Indiana

Last edited by Washbush; 05-15-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: