1998 M.Benz CL500 Gages all off, Engine Light on + 4 others; ? VSS, Antitheft,Trany? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: May 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1998 M.Benz CL500 Gages all off, Engine Light on + 4 others; ? VSS, Antitheft,Trany?

Hi all,
1998 M. Benz CL500.

Just bought and picked it up. I drove it from San Jose CA on the way to LA. After making three short stops (driven about 400 miles) I decided to take a stop for gas. Not that I needed to gas up, I had half a tank, but couldn't pass up the $3 a liter, when everywhere else they were charging $3.25 or more. I filled up the ultra premium gas. After the fill up I started the engine and most warning lights came on, including engine light and four others. The gages were off, the radio reset itself and I needed to add the code to get it back on, the windows would roll down but difficulty rolling up, the clock wasn't functioning among other things. This is not the worst part. I started to drive the car and it seemed to be driving OK. As soon as I got on the highway and tried to pick up speed. I couldn't see how fast I was going be`cause the speedometer was frozen, but I would guess approx 30 miles an hour (first geer equivalency); as I tried to go faster the engine got very loud and it seemed to be forcing itself to slow down and slight engine shaking. I immediately pulled over and took first exit.
I contacted M. Benz Roadside assist and they were kind enough to pass me to a technical advisor (mechanic). I explained the problems I was encountering and for a while he would not give me any help other than you need to bring it to a M Benz shop so they can diagnose it correctly. I continued to plead with him and explain my predicament, stuck in the middle of nowhere and being a Friday end of day, in a town that had plenty of gaz stations that served only gas no mechanics. He finally offered that it could be transmission, possibly more but not with certainty. I then found a garage near by that serviced 18+ wheelers and he offered that it could be the vehicle speed sensor or transmission. Then I contacted the person who sold me the car and he happened to be near a M. Benz shop. He explained some of what I explained was going on with the car and he suggested that it was probably the anti-theft device. He suggested I remove battery leaving the key in ignition on turned to start position and have the lights turned on. I did that, left the key on with lights on and removed the connection from battery for 40 minutes, I returned and reconnected battery; guess what happened, NADA. The problem did not go away. Now I'm still stuck where I was and the local mechanic suggests I have him replace the Vehicle Speed Sensor (circuit). Can anyone there who may have encountered this problem with any other car offer some suggestions as to what it may be and the approx costs iincluding costs and how many hours of labour this job would be. If the Vehicle Speed senssor is a possibility, perhaps the wiring needs to be simply cleaned and not change the whole unit. Thank you
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: