LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The Beijing so-called shooting brake : the why of fraud

Feeling the so-called shooting brake that has been presented in Beijin is a total fraud of the shooting brake concept (3 door sporty luxury estate), and having expressed it in the news section (, I felt the need to think a bit more about it. Just so to illustrate what bothers me about this model, I superposed a picture of the Fascination concept (tinted in red to better see the difference) and one of what has been presented in Beijin (made translucent).

I aligned the back wheels, and we can see that the rear overhang is roughly the same in dimensions (though not really shaped in the same way).

Now, the real big difference seems to come from the luggage compartment : I did not managed to make this really obvious (you have to look carefully : there are sort-of balloon shapes in front of the rear-seat headrests - those being more contrasted, I think it is easier to see the difference), but the rear seat has been put forward a real lot... so to make a bigger trunk, I guess... and it changes the car as a whole. A whole that does not have anything more to see with the Fascination concept.

As a consequence of the rear seat put forward, the front seat are as well (the steering wheel or the rear mirror make it really obvious), hence making enough space for rear doors. It goes together with a shortening of the front doors, thus participating in a lot less sportier look.

The wheelbase gets logically bigger, as well as the overall length. And it seems a tad taller, to finish it off...

Now, for a little bit of linguistic. Being french, I very well know what the word "coupé" means : it means "cut" (past participle of the verb, "couper" in french). Now, how do you cut something by making it bigger, should you ask by now ? Let us just compare lengthes and wheelbases of the classic E and the CLS (which is the so-called E 4-doors coupé) :

- E : wheelbase=287,4cm ; overall length=486,8cm
- CLS : wheelbase=285,4cm ; overall length=491,7cm

The wheelbase of the CLS is barely shorter, and you can deduce from these numbers that the front and rear overhangs are 4,9+2=6,9cm longer as a whole... in the CLS case (being globally 4,9cm longer than the E sedan)... what the... that, a coupé (yeah, I know, beating a dead horse : but a fresh and alive baby one is coming, so ; yeah, I am speaking about poney-beating ; OMG ! Poney-beating, so exquisite !) ?

No, it is the exact opposite of a coupé : would it be something, it would instead be a stretched, or a melted...

Now, if the CLS is 4,9cm longer than the E sedan, we can guess that this so-called shooting-brake will have the same difference with due respect to the E estate, which would make it 489,5+4,9=494,4cm long... while if you add 4,9cm to the E coupé (the real one), it would make a 469,8+4,9=474,7cm long (real) shooting brake.

This would make a huge 19,7cm length difference between what has been presented in Beijin and what had been presented in Paris : almost the difference between an E sedan and a S sedan (which amounts to 22,8cm) !

Now, I really understand why I really loved the Fascination concept, while just thinking of the so-called shooting brake as rather nice-looking, though a total fraud of the shooting brake concept...

This is going to be a melted but still commonplace estate, with a big boot, and just an updated look, instead of a sporty one. Period

First, there is not even a E500 4matic estate (and my one and only reason to buy an estate would be to at least have one AWD vehicle, that should be practical, as an added bonus, but quite "sporty", if possible). And now, they speak of spawning a duplicate of an already existing model (I could understand the CLS : this made a practical hatchback, looking like a statutary notchback with a sporty fastback-curve roof - though this is does not make it any coupé, but the exact opposite : a stretched, or a melted)... what is Merc thinking ? What would be the use of this ? Is there gonna be an ugly E sedan together with a cute E sedan, as well as an ugly E estate together with a cute E estate ?

Well, being pragmatic, I can understand what they have in mind. People are either socially, economically, or just reasonably going to move from pointless SUVs/crossovers (what is the point of making those so tall : just wastes fuel and sportivity, if you do not go the all-terrain way) to more reasonnable utilitary/family vehicles (in Europe, at least, where there is already much less SUVs than accross the ocean)... not to speak about the ecoterrorists that want the SUVs gone (see the proposed referendum in Switzerland... though they do not only reproach the harming fronts, but also CO2 emissions, under which big fuel motors that I like do fall), and will lobby against that. Well, I for one am seriously thinking about moving from SUVs (an ageing and weak Freelander ; I'll keep my Can-Am ATVs, though), but only with sportivity reasons in mind (I am no watermelon ecoterrorist : blissfully green on the outside, but jealously red on the inside - I do far more than my share for the environment, with my house and its energy consumption, my lands, plus my investments, so freaking leave my vehicles in peace !).

More on the news, if I remember rightly, the factory where the CLS is built was supposed to close, and strikes have forced Mercedes to make it stay open, at the condition that it would build another model... based on the CLS, of course, so to optimize. Well, I could understand if the so-called shooting brake was supposed to totally replace the current E estate. But this does not seem to be the planned case, and this scam does not bring anything new from the old one... appart that it is kinda cute, and the "old one" is ugly as a post-sauerkraut fart.

But what then ? It will just cut off the sales from the classic E estate, which will bring other firing plans, which will bring other strikes, which will bring other totally redundant models... What is this tormented market plan ? Is there still anyone in charge of Merc, appart from stupid marketers (don't get me started on the alliance with Renault, emperor of crappy cars) ? I am really starting to think Merc is on a slippery slope... I see them more and more as a colossus with feet of clay.

Should they release such a thing, and forget about a 3-door luxury estate (a shooting brake, that is : a real one), I think this would be the last straw for me and a brand I've really loved since being a kid. Too much marketer's scam is too much.Yep : they really pissed me off, on this one. I want a real shooting brake, dammit !
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: