post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Air sampler buzz near sunroof/rearview mirror

I posed a couple of questions on the W202 forum but no-one seems to know the answer so I thought this surely applies to other models as well.

The air sampler in many 1990's and 2000's vehicles has a small vent usually located in the overhead console contained within or near the attachment point of the rearview mirror. Sometimes a buzzing sound will be heard in this area and some claim that it comes from the Air Sampling Motor or Aspirator which is located under the console itself. The blower is separate from the small fan or sensor that is beneath the vented section visible from the cabin when looking at the mirror attachment.

I am curious about a few things, such as is there a sensor or a fan under the vent and what is that part called or the part #? The motor is separate and can be seen in the original thread I am linking below. Also, as I asked there, for those of us with the manual controlled HVAC does this air sampler actually serve any purpose since our AC/heater doesn't adjust itself automatically? I know sometimes a system is put in place even if it isn't used because it's cheaper to do so that to make two versions, like when non-power seats have all the wiring and harnesses just not the motors if the power seat option isn't ordered. Can those of us with the manual HVAC unplug the sensor/motor to stop the buzzing without any issue?

Partsgeek describes the motor as "Temperature Sensor For temperature sensor ventilation on roof rail. Draws air from a specific location in vehicle to sample the temperature and relays information to control unit which takes action to correct to desired temperature setting." Again this seems unnecessary on a manual HVAC. Thanks for any info!

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra

Last edited by DirectLA; 05-01-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 1999 E300TD: 302,000 kms. 2002 Golf TDI, 385,000kms, winter beater, parked for the summer.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it's called a "sampler blower motor" pn W0133-1609370. it is used to send signal to the auto temp controller by continously sucking cabin air thru the little vent hole across a temp sensor.

don't know about manual hvac system purpose of the fan, might be like you said, redundant. just disconnect it and see what happens. mine has auto temp, every time i vaccuum the car, i just stick the vaccuum onto the inlet for a few seconds. these things accummulate alot of dust over time, makes for slow auto temp response.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I agree with jet606, unplug it to get rid of the noise. With your manual HVAC I see no purpose for it.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: