Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: Two W124 Estates (Wagons) both 2litre (100Kw output) 1996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Joe2mercs
(Thread Starter)
Scotland the brave....OK..mildly scared

Hi Guys,
This is just to introduce myself. I live in Edinburgh and I have two W124 Mercedes, both are 2 litre 136Bhp 100KW Estates (wagons) sold in 1996; towards the end of the production run. One is a manual gearbox (mine) whilst the other is automatic (my wife runs this one). I like to fix things and having two cars the same allows me to learn on one and perfect on the other. So jobs done on both include: water pumps; v belts; tensioner pulley dampers; fan viscous clutch, front shock absorber mounts (3); outer front anti roll bar bushes. The manual chewed up its original gear box at 160,000 miles. The Automatic had its fuel tank replaced about a year ago. Last summer I had the joy of lying on my back under the manual for a couple of days renewing the rear brake pipes and putting in a new rear self levelling suspension fluid pipe from front to rear. About three weeks ago I replaced the tail gate pistons on the automatic. Last week my electric sun roof packed up but after cleaning up the motor gear box of chewed up spiral wrap teeth and fitting a new greased cable its working like new. Today I found the bottom of my driver's side suspension coil spring has snapped about 4 inches off the end, the end is still there trapped by the coil above. Oh to have a Klann or Sealey coil spring compressor!! Say what you like the W124s are nothing if not character building! Even though I take pride in my DIY achievements I am humbled by what I read in other enthusiasts threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1987 560SL / 2003 ML320 / 2006 Mini Cooper S
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You get the Braveheart award, in my book. Your exploits have gone well past my own DIY skills.

Good luck with those two W124's and welcome to Benzworld!!

Kevin
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 08:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in