I've recently found this forum to assist with taking care of a recently purchased 190E. After gaining a TON of helpful info as a lurker, I decided to register.
In the early 80's I was a BMW dealership mechanic, followed by a long stint in the military as an aircraft electrician. With some experience behind me I'm definitely not scared to roll up my sleeves and dig into problems!
I feel I got a KILLER deal on a car recently. I was looking for a safe, reliable car for my daughter, who's currently in college. She lives 100mi away and really needed transportation. While checking out the local Craigslist I found a listing for a '93 190E 2.3. I went by the address and looked at the car, but wasn't able to stop. The exterior was in GREAT shape! During the weekend I pulled up the listing to get the contact number and found the seller had lowered the price. I made arrangements and went to see the car. The interior looked as clean and sharp as the outside! I test drive, short haggle on the price and the Benz was mine...or my daughter's I should say!
Now for the truly sweet part! The car had only 92k miles on it. It also had EVERY receipt and scrap of paperwork for the car since the day it was brand new. I swear if the previous owners bought an air freshener to hang in it, they kept the receipt!! It also came with the window sticker, all sales documents, dealer tag and temporary plate from the rear! The first aid kit has never been opened and the tool kit is complete and never used. We're the 4th owner with the last seller owning for only several months. He temporarily needed a second vehicle while looking for an SUV and put just over 1k miles on it. The second owner bought it in '94 with 22k miles on it and kept it until earlier this year. The car was garage kept and well cared for. The original owner bought it new from Beck's in Charlotte, NC.
The car is black pearl metallic and is nicely equipped with power sunroof, cruise, premium stereo, gray leather interior, power seats and windows, a/c and 4 spd auto, 2.3 engine. It also had the 134a conversion professionally done several years ago. The a/c needed to be recharged, which I was able to do myself. I was trained and certified a number of years ago to service a/c systems and still have my R12 and R134 equipment. The cruise is currently inop, even after resoldering the board in the amp. The left rear window regulator has a broken cable and the fan switch was broken. Since she had to take the car back to school this week, those items are on the repair list. I was able to disassemble the fan switch and temporarily fix it so it worked. It'll be replaced though when she comes back home for the summer.
The repairs and troubleshooting I was able to do are primarily thanks to this forum and I am already indebted and greatful! I'm hoping my daughter gets many pleasurable years of use out of the car. I also hope I am able to be a helpful addition to the forum!