Dealer broke off a retaining clip on MAF thermostat sender - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: R129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Dealer broke off a retaining clip on MAF thermostat sender

My local dealer removed my MAF air mass flow sensor, and they broke a retaining clip off of the thermostat sender. The sender no longer has a tight seal in the MAF (so it'll suck a bit of air & dirt from the engine compartment by bypassing the air filter), so the mechanic simply rotated the MAF to wedge the sender against a rubber hose. So, now, the wire leading to it is bent at a hard 90-degrees and crimped against a hard, vibrating rubber hose on a engine.

This seems really juvenile, considering that this sender costs them probably $10 ($23 online for me). The fact that they didn't fess up to it and that I discovered this on my own, is disappointing. Now only that, but the crimped wire might break off eventually by being wedged against a constantly vibrating rubber hose on the engine.

IN CONTRAST, years ago, when I took my Honda to a dealer to change my clutch, they broke the water pump. The Honda mechanic came out and told me that he broke my water pump and that he replaced it for free.

This fancy smancy Mercedes service drives me raw.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
You complain about a broken plastic clip on a 13 year old car

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Your frustration is understandable but have you called the dealer to ask them to fix this for you? It seems that is a logical first step.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
You complain about a broken plastic clip on a 13 year old car
This might seem trivial, but that broken clip holds the sender to the MAF, and when broken, there is no tight seal to the MAF, allowing air and dust to bypass the air filter housing.

Btw, that integrated clip to the thermostat sender is not 13 years old. And it's not easy to break, unless you're careless.

These cars should be maintained to Mercedes specs, and wedging the copper 90-degrees against a vibrating rubber hose in order to maintain a tight seal to the MAF is not to manufacturer's spec. And, who did the work? A Mercedes Authorized Dealer. This sort of sloppiness is not acceptable.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectLA View Post
Your frustration is understandable but have you called the dealer to ask them to fix this for you? It seems that is a logical first step.
Oh, yes. I called Friday afternoon and left a message for the service advisor. I haven't gotten their call yet.

The point of this post is to be watch the quality of work your mechanic performs your cars. You might be pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The thing is that the mechanic who serviced the car covered up his blunder. My thought would be -"that's the kind of person who would take shortcuts and do all things half way"-. I'm with the SL500 owner, it is a Mercedes not a bloody
Yugo. Besides, after this is fixed free by the dealer, I'd never go back for service there.

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
At the risk of asking a foolish question: would you rather be right, or be happy? It's a $23 part. You seem to be investing a lot of anger and irritation in an issue that just isn't that big a deal.

Yes, they are wrong. They will probably make it right. Or not. Why let them live in your head rent free? I promise the service writer and the mechanic aren't thinking about your MAF clip.

Get your car fixed, put the top down, and enjoy the feeling that only an R129 brings. I spent the day doing just that, and it was great.

Cheers.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA View Post
At the risk of asking a foolish question: would you rather be right, or be happy? It's a $23 part. You seem to be investing a lot of anger and irritation in an issue that just isn't that big a deal.

Yes, they are wrong. They will probably make it right. Or not. Why let them live in your head rent free? I promise the service writer and the mechanic aren't thinking about your MAF clip.

Get your car fixed, put the top down, and enjoy the feeling that only an R129 brings. I spent the day doing just that, and it was great.

Cheers.
This has always been my way of thinking too, maybe it is wrong but I always feel good. But please note I would not accept one of my mechanics doing this to a customers car, I do have my standards and expect my chaps to live up to them.

ERIC.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Outstanding Contributor

And for the OP, the unit is not a thermostat sensor but is called the air intake temperature sensor.

ERIC.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 08:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
bla, bla, bla... but is always the customer who gets the shaft. I don't care if it is a 23 cents piece, I will not suffer but I'll get it done right and I shall have pain inflicted in the process if necessary.

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in