post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 1962 W112 300se Mercedes-Benz Fintail
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile Hi to all from Brighton, England. W112 Fintail

Very pleased to have found your forum and am looking forward to getting to know everyone.

I've just got my 300se back. I had to sell it 6 years ago after an illness, and replaced it with my 220b, telling myself that it was much easier to maintain, much cheaper to run and generally a far more sensible choice of Fintail, all the time not believing a word of what I was saying to myself. The nadir was when I put it in a hedge to avoid a loony in a white van.

I was looking for parts on eBay and came across Hercules, advertised as an ideal Banger racer. I knew it was my car because of the non-standard colour scheme which came with the car when I bought it (for just under 10 times what I paid for it the second time around). I am now restoring the 220b to pristine condition in order to sell it and plough all the money and no doubt more into Hercules.

It seems it has been languishing under some arches in North London and has really suffered. All the chrome has been removed and fortunately put in the boot, along with the rear lights. The interior is complete although in quite rough/cracked condition. The windscreen is cracked and the two chrome air vents are missing. The two headlights have been removed and the wires cut.

As far as the engine is concerned, there is fuel in the oil, which I hope is the cold start valve, the generator pulley is missing, so I hope to God the vandals who had it didn't run the engine for long because the generator shaft also drive the water pump. The voltage regulator is also missing as is the pipe from the air filter to the air suspension dehumidifier bottle. On the plus side, there is an enormous battery which I have charged and am using on the 220b, its battery having given up the ghost.

When I last had the car, I had the autobox rebuilt, the Dunlop brakes replaced, the brake light sensor replaced, the generator rewound and put in a new new metalastic coupling to the waterpump, as well as having the head gasket done on the engine and the injection sorted out, so hopefully when I have drained everything and repaired the break in the fuel line, the car will start...

I have been documenting the work on my blog, A W112 Mercedes-Benz 300se Fintail (Heckflosse) Called Hercules and would like to invite members to have a look. It also shows Hercules in its heyday and the Ebay banger ad.

Best regards,

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 06:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: C55 AMG
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to BW!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: anywhere from '52 300 to 1990 560SEL,and a '93300TE nothing newer, too much trouble....
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Welcome fellow 300SE owner

It's good to see another 300SE owner, We are a rare breed, since the original number of cars are under 10k the survivors are getting really scarce......

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld Adrian.

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: