post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post E or C class

Hi guys,

I am new to this site and I am also new to Mercedes. I'm about to buy a car and I decided to get a Benz. Problem is, I love cars but I'm not good on the technical part, performance, features etc. My budget is around 10 grand, and I can't decide between a 2001 C Class model (by that I mean the model that cam out in 2001. I could also be a 2002, 2003 model as well if it fits the budget) or a 1999 E Class. The E class has an "older" style to it, wich makes the C stand out as nicer, but then again, An E is superior to a C in performance (I don't now by how much though). I am also very interested in the sound system. Does the E class offer a better sound system than the C? If it does, how much would changing the system of a C to match that of an E would cost me. Aslo I would appreciate if someone would tell me the pro's and con's of both C and E. I know E would probably run me more gas and more insurance (not sure about the insurance part). I also want it to be a 4Matic, I live in Quebec and we have a lot of snow to deal with.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All Mercedes receive a "facelift" about 1/2-2/3 through their life and this is a general cleanup and mild restyle and for the most part it's always better to get the later version.

The C-class you're looking at is a W203 and that was facelifted in 2004 and the E-class you're looking at is a W210, and they were facelifted for the 2000 model year.

The E-class is simply bigger than the C-class and has about everything a little higher quality. Engines/transmissions are the same in both models although obviously there are some smaller ones in the C not available in the E and some larger ones only available in the E. This means 4 cyl and 8 cyl plus a smaller version of the V6 only found in the C.

The W203 started life later than the W210 and has a more modern look. IMHO unless it's a station wagon, the W210 look particularly old these days.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mercedes-Benz W210 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kent Christensen
'07 GL320CDI
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
I would advise you to avoid both. The 01-04 C class was nothing short of junk. It was an unreliable, repair prone and very low quality mess on wheels. I had one and it was nothing but problems. It was made for people who could not really afford a Mercedes, but had to have that star on their hood. The E class was ok from 96-99, but it received a face lift for 2000 (01 for wagon) and got a whole lot better. Mercedes improved over 100 things on the car for the 2000 model year. The only reason to consider a 99 would be for the E300 Diesel. Otherwise avoid them. You can get into an 00 or 01 E320 4Matic for $10k or less, easily. $10k would actually buy you a nice low mileage example.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2006
Originally Posted by CertifiedBenz View Post
<snip> I am also very interested in the sound system. Does the E class offer a better sound system than the C? <snip>
Thank you!
The W210 E430 had a Bose sound system. MY2000 and later W210 E430's also had the 4matic option.

1999 E430
1999 C230K
1992 300E (write-off)
1984 190D (sold)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2010
(Thread Starter)
OK ty guys.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I've got a 97 E420. It's got enough room and comfort to carry 4 adults and luggage cross country, enough performance to blow more than a few cars into the weeds, handling that is amazing for it's size, excellent sound system, and decent mileage.

Mines been reasonably reliable, but they are prone to rust if their from anyplace with salted roads, and if not maintained properly can be a moneypit, just like any other car.

if your going after ANY mercedes, get it checked out beforehand and look for maintenance records.

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: