LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 C280 - O2 sensor question.

For a faulty right O2 sensor, is it true that you need to drop the exhaust to properly change this on a 2006 C280? This seems odd to me but then again this is the first Mercedes I've owned.

It upsets me because they say it's bad, which is what was causing the check engine light to come on and then it was misfiring 3 of the 6 cylinders and the car only has 36000 miles and of course missed warranty by 2 months...

So to replace an item that costs roughly $150ish, they need to drop the exhaust and now are charging me $920...does this seem right?

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2extreme983 View Post
For a faulty right O2 sensor, is it true that you need to drop the exhaust to properly change this on a 2006 C280?
Probably not - if it really is the one that you state. Did you identify this sensor from a code? You don't say if it is before/after the cat.

According to my WIS (which only goes up to 2005 - but is probably OK here) you will have four O2 sensors on your C280, Body W203, Engine 272.

G3/3 - left O2 sensor upstream of TWC
G3/4 - right O2 sensor upstream of TWC
G3/5 - left O2 sensor downstream of TWC
G3/6 - right O2 sensor downstream of TWC

The WIS states that you have to remove the complete exhaust system ONLY when removing G3/3. For some reason this is not easily accessible from below with the lower engine compartment paneling removed.

If you feel up to a DIY, I can post the relevant WIS page with details. It's definitely worth further discussions with your dealership.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
Probably not - if it really is the one that you state. Did you identify this sensor from a code? You don't say if it is before/after the cat.

According to my WIS (which only goes up to 2005 - but is probably OK here) you will have four O2 sensors on your C280, Body W203, Engine 272.

G3/3 - left O2 sensor upstream of TWC
G3/4 - right O2 sensor upstream of TWC
G3/5 - left O2 sensor downstream of TWC
G3/6 - right O2 sensor downstream of TWC

The WIS states that you have to remove the complete exhaust system ONLY when removing G3/3. For some reason this is not easily accessible from below with the lower engine compartment paneling removed.

If you feel up to a DIY, I can post the relevant WIS page with details. It's definitely worth further discussions with your dealership.
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I live 60 miles from the Dealership and my car was already there and running very bad. They said the only way to change it was to drop the exhaust. It was the right side pre-cat and now the plugs on that side are black, so I will be changing out all six plugs tomorrow.

Anyways, due to the reasons above, I just said go ahead and fix it. So $992
later with tax...I am pulling my hair out! It still doesn't seem right.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Yeah... I can see how you are over a barrel when you live 60 miles from the shop.

I still think that they might have conned you by dropping the exhaust when not totally neccessary - although it obviously make it easier for them to get to the O2 sensors with the thing on the floor. You might ask them to comment on why they made the job bigger than it is described in the WIS.

About some plugs being black.. That's just carbon from incomplete burning in the cylinder because the mixture was wrong. The plugs are not finished. They just need a clean-up which the shop should do for peanuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in