post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: VW CC & Wifeys 2003 SLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Optima Batteries

Anybody use them in their MB? The Optima site doesn't list them for MB's. I've usually had one in all the GM's I've had and no matter how long I let something sit without a trickle charger, they always fired right up. Working at home and preferring two wheels when I do have to get out, I had the 600SEL go dead on me today, and I have a fairly fresh battery in it.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." Frank Lloyd Wright "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4matic (owned previously); 1996 SL500
Optimas are really meant for Jeeps and 4x4 that must contend with severe angles, high vibration, and jarring off road.

I don't use one in my Jeep but I don't do that severe of off roading with it.

It would really be overkill in a Mercedes that stays on pavement.

"Elitist snobs talking about elitist snobs on an elitist circlejerk forum... " -Fergie

"And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile" -Once In a Lifetime, Talking Heads

"...and now you know...the rest of the story." -Paul Harvey
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I've had one in my E300 for about five years. Since it's under the rear seat, I didn't want to worry about venting issues and outgassing. I recommend them. You usually have to buy the reverse terminal version for a Mercedes, so keep that in mind.

Len
'59 220S Cabriolet - for sale - http://www.mbzponton.org/mbz220s/sellswap/car4sale.htm
'83 240D original owner 351,500 miles - for sale - http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...g-my-240d.html
'88 560SL 41,000 miles being parted out - https://sites.google.com/site/mercedesstuff/home
'99 E300 turbo 196,000 miles
'03 SLK320 34,500 miles
'14 Smart electric
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Optimas are made in one size only, and that's of course for merikun cars.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2002 E430 4-Matic
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Optimas are made in one size only, and that's of course for merikun cars.
Wouldn't it be nice if there was such a thing as a few standard size batteries? But something so simple.....seems so elusive. I don't know why a simple 24,27,29 selection wouldn't work for 90% of the world. We did it with beer and wiskey why not batteries?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Optima Batteries

I've used Optimas in all my cars and truck for years. They're not meant for just offroad 4x4 etc..
They're a battery that starts first time every time.
Just wanted to clarify that.

Cheers
George60

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government"
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by george60 View Post
I've used Optimas in all my cars and truck for years. They're not meant for just offroad 4x4 etc..
They're a battery that starts first time every time.
Just wanted to clarify that.

Cheers
George60
This is exactly what our OEM Spanish-made battery does on our ML320.
Will be 12 years this Sept.
Haven't hear about Optima doing that.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: nothing broken. finally!
they are overrated and lately their quality has gone down

there are so many better alternatives out there

vw phaeton. when vw copies mercedes, but forces you to service it next to golfs and jettas
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: VW CC & Wifeys 2003 SLK320
(Thread Starter)
It looks like a few of you haven't been to the optima web site. They make different sizes, BCI group, CCA, etc.
The Blue Tops are the biggest, the specs are good, but they don't have the end hold down feature to keep it bolted in. I'll find something, maybe fab a top strap hold down, something like I had in the boat for it if I pick one up.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." Frank Lloyd Wright "
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. Unfortunately, there are more than 60 different sizes of automotive batteries and we do not offer batteries that we consider “direct-fit” replacements for every vehicle, including many MB models. However, many MB owners have successfully used our batteries in applications that we consider “custom fitments” and may be able to offer input as to which batteries they used and how they safely mounted them.

You can find all the specifications for our YellowTop batteries here- Optima YellowTop Specs - Yellow Cap Batteries by Optima and our RedTop batteries here- Optima RedTop Specs - Red Top AGM Batteries by Optima

Any custom application should consider these guidelines-

• Hood Clearance – There should be at least ¾” clearance between the top of the battery terminals and the underside of the hood. When we do our fitment studies we put a ball of clay on top of the post, and VERY carefully close the hood to make sure that nothing makes contact. By measuring how much the clay is squeezed down when the hood is closed, we can know how much hood clearance we have.
• Trunk/Interior Mounting – If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk (common in many European makes) the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.
• Side Terminals – Optima 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals can not come into contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short. We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using.
• Battery Modifications – Cutting, drilling, trimming or otherwise modifying your Optima battery may present a safety hazard and will void the warranty.
• Mounting – Your Optima battery must be securely mounted. The terminals are not intended to be used to secure the battery. Using the terminals in this way will damage the battery and void your warranty.
• Heat – Protect your battery from high heat, such as turbochargers or exhaust manifolds

The quality of our batteries has always been excellent and continues to improve. Most of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged. This video explains how to recharge a deeply-discharged AGM battery-

If you have any battery-related questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
Optima Batteries | Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in