post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 1997 Mercedes-Benz SL500 Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello from Matt Kerr in Woodinville, WA, USA

I'm new to this site, having recently purchased my first Mercedes-Benz at the ripe old age of 60. That makes my '97 SL 500 Sport seem pretty new, as it sure has a lot less miles on it than I have. To be sure, it's a far more civilized sports car than the '68 Ford Bronco Sport that I traded in on it. That thing was really very cool and a much more eye catching ride, but my wife couldn't handle the "3 on the tree", especially with the worn out synchros that required double clutching. And then there were the safety issues of the old fashioned, 4-wheel, un-assisted, drum brakes, no power steering, no shoulder harnesses, no air bags, and no rear seat lap belts, not to mention stabilty control, all of which scared her on a regular basis. Anyway we couldn't help but notice that we were only driving it about 2 week ends per year, so it was her idea that we should sell it and get something more practical for the both of us. Just a short time later, with that in mind, I noticed the silver SL 500 sport, with the Panoramic roof option, as I was driving down US Hwy 9 in Everett, WA. I stopped for a closer look and was intrigued enough to go home and pick up my better half to take her on a test drive. Needless to say, she loved it, and so did I, so we did the trade. Now, however, I really miss the V-8 rumble of that old 289 cubic inch Ford, with it's dual exhaust and cherry bomb mufflers. Well, I really wouldn't want quite so much of that in something as refined as this SL500, but it sure could use a little bit more attitude. I may be getting older but I guess I just refuse to grow up.
On On, Matt Kerr
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 02:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: