post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Check engine light and misfiring

Hello all!!

I'm new here and have a major concern with my 2006 c280.

I have only had it for just over a year and have never owned a Mercedes previously. My closest MB dealer is 60 miles away. I just last week had the oil changed for the first time since I owned it. Went to a local dealer that said they could change it and reset the counter. Ok fine...Well they changed the oil and the filter with a MB filter (so they say). Then the Service Manager who said he worked 4 years at a MB dealer told me he couldn't reset the service reminder (he told me he could before they did the service). He said the computer wouldn't let him reset because it wasn't close enough to the due date (had 20 days to go). This concerned me and didn't make sense. Well I took it home and looked online and was able to reset it in about 20 seconds...

Anyways that's a quick history before my problems. Here I go:

The car has been running great since I've owned it. Last Thursday (4-1-10) (crap just realized it was April fools), I had my oil changed. Now Tuesday (4-6-10) my check engine light came on and I've only driven a bit over 100 miles since the oil change. After the light came on it started to become very sluggish and idling very rough. NOT HAPPY!!! I right away thought the place that changed my oil f'd something up. BTW they drained the oil from the oil plug, not from the top.

Ok...So I have a friend who works at another auto shop who at no charge hooked it up to the computer (OBDII). It showed many codes, I lost count at around 12. Something about the O2 sensor and then a sensor not connected or not connected properly (something like that) and also 4 of the 6 cylinders are misfiring!!!!!!!! Not sure what the other codes were. He's kinda baffled at this point but will be putting it up on the jack to see if the other dealer f'd something up underneath.

That is my question...is there something they could have broke or disconnected by changing the oil from the oil plug on this vehicle???

Also I'm PO'd as I only have 36,000 miles on this car and the MB warranty expired 50 days ago. After calling two MB dealerships they said they won't cover me because I'm a 2nd owner...WTF?!?!?

Sorry for the rant and long history but very very frustrated after purchasing what I though was a quality vehicle...

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:48 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 1995 SL 500 2005 SL500
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So you've taken the vehicle to two different shops (not MB I surmise) that may or may not have screwed up the vehicle and now you're mad at the dealer for not "covering you"? I don't get it. I'd take it to an MB dealership for their opinion on what's wrong. But that's my opinion. Good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wireless View Post
So you've taken the vehicle to two different shops (not MB I surmise) that may or may not have screwed up the vehicle and now you're mad at the dealer for not "covering you"? I don't get it. I'd take it to an MB dealership for their opinion on what's wrong. But that's my opinion. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply.

I had my oil changed locally as from what I understand that is NOT a violation of MB rules. A person can change his own oil etc w/o MB or any car manufacture for that matter. Now I have a friend checking on the codes. No work besides the oil change was done at any shop besides the oil change.

I am angry that MB won't honor the warranty as it's 14,000 miles under and only 50 days over time wise. My frustration comes with what I have described above...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 1995 SL 500 2005 SL500
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is it out of warranty? Yes. Have you established a working relationship with your local dealer? From your comments, No. Why would they warrant anything? You haven't even taken it to them to figure out what the problem is. You think Ford, GM or any other manufacturer would handle this differently? I don't. Take it to MB or have fun.. Good luck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:55 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
The warranty is by time or mileage, whichever comes first. Time clearly got you before the mileage. Its either under warranty or not. There is no grey area, unless you have a wonderful relationship with your dealer (say buy a car from them every year and service it all the time). Just because the car only has 36,000 miles doesn't mean it is under warranty. Its 4 year old. The same logic can be applied to what you thought was a quality vehicle. Just because a car has a Star on the hood, doesn't mean its quality. Expect the electrical malfunctions to only get worse as times goes on.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 03:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
MB dealer will not fix out of warranty cars for free. The car was driven 100 miles after oil change, the local dealer will not take the blame. You're on your own. But behold, benzworld is here.
Start with the first error code that the OBDII reader reported. If it's fixed, the other errors may go away.
Go here the scroll down to find your car model, there should be enough fixes in there
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Run down to an Advance Auto or Autozone and get the exact codes. Post them. I am sure the members here can help you figure it out from there. Need the exact codes to start though.

Mike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
On a second thought, the oil change could cause trouble if too much or too little oil was put in after drain. Many shops used bulk oil; the careless mechanic could put in the incorrect amount of oil; too much will cause spark plugs to foul and other problems after a short while. Check the level of oil in your car with the dip stick with the car parked on leveled street to rule out such possibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in