Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 1984 500 SEL
Location: North Carolina, USA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Member Introduction
I'm new to BenzWorld. Rather than trade it in for parts, my dad just gave me his 1984 500 SEL and I really don't know a thing about it yet. According to records, the orig. owner apparently was from Palmdale, CA. It's got it's 250,000 km badge on the front grill. Now up to just under 200,000 mi.
For a 26 year old car, I'd say it's in reasonably good condition. The exterior finish (medium blue) is in very good shape (when not being driven, it was stored in a garage and/or covered most of its life) and the interior (tan) is actually in pretty good condition too.
I've got a couple of issues that I know of.
1. Seems to be burning something, probably oil, but not too bad. Noticed what looks like an oil leak near the front left cylinder/spark plug area.
2. Also has a (very slow) power steering or brake fluid leak.
3. The driver's side window is not working (though the window motor seems to be working, maybe just slipped off track - fortunately, it's stuck in the "up" position.
4. Also, the AC is not cooling. Hopefully just needs Freon.
5. And the dashboard back light seems to be very sensitive, flickers and hard to recover if it goes out.
Other than those, mainly cosmetic, things, I really like it. Never thought I would be a Mercedes Benz owner.
It's got 15" chrome wheels (I don't think they're stock) and almost new Michelin tires.
Also not sure if all 500 SEL have a sun roof. But mine does and that seems to work flawlessly.
My dad installed a 1000 watt (not a misprint) Kenwood Amp. So I have no trouble hearing the music over the wind noise, with the windows down.
Any suggestions on prioritizing my maintenance? Looking forward to reading the posts on the forums. This seems like a very cool site with lots of folks that have a wealth of M-B knowledge.