LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Benz Virgin-Help me through this

I am a huge Corvette fan and have had many of them, but I love the Benz styling. I'm ready to make my next purchase on a 'go fast' car. I have the opportunity to get into a used 2005 CL65 AMG, low miles, but no warranty. I'm used to Corvette issues, most I take care of myself, but not sure about Benz. I have a few other cars I'm considering, but I'd love to have the Benz AMG.

Others I'm considering:
BMW M5
Lexus ISF
Vette ZO6

I want them Benz...just need some re-assurance that I'm not going to be buried in repairs and issues. I'd consider another AMG product (SL55, E63, etc)...but that CL65 is so frickin cool...and more torque than my full size diesel truck.

Looking for opinions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole unless it had full coverage warranty (which is going to be next to impossible to find in itself) and I had several other cars to drive while this one was in the shop. If you are looking for reliability and easy DIY, this is not the car for you. The ISF would be the most reliable of the group you mention, followed by the Z06, then a very distant next to last would be the M5. Those are some random picks for cars. Not even in the same class.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I had at least 5 corvettes, and one was a road racing car (actual on track racing), hence the ZO6 choice. My GF has the Lexus IS350, my brother the ISF...so familiar with Lexus and their outstanding quality and performance for the $$. I love the look of the Benz styling, but my Benjamins hate to be handed to mechanics. The BMW M5 is high HP, almost no torque (which I know I'll miss), but fairly quick. That is why I'm asking peoples opinion on the Benz. I have a professional career wher eI have clients in my car...that is why the Vette is towards the bottom of my list. I'm also trying to not own a ton of cars...so I want a go fast luxury coupe.

Keep the advice coming. Thanks.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
BTW, MR xpowerseller, saw you have a LS460...another one on my list. Outstanding quality, just not the fastest car on the planet. I'm still considering it though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
You could get an LS460 and modify it to meet your needs. That is always an option if you like a no repair bill car. If you have clients you need to transport, I would be looking at a executive luxury sedan such as the LS460 or S550. A coupe is a little too small and tight to transport multiple people and their stuff.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
CL's are hugely expensive to maintain and only partially because they have many proprietary components. If we have history to guide us, those parts will only get more expensive with time. Air suspensions go bad often on those cars and I've read where folks have spent $4-5k on that alone. If you want some detailed and knowledgeable answers from real world owners I'd go to the forum section specific to those cars, and specifically the AMG forum section. Speaking of, AMG cars use their own variations on brakes, engine, etc., which are even more costly than the standard version.

Beautiful car without question, and loved by those who do not work on their own cars and have lots of cash to let someone else get dirty, but since you mentioned wanting to do the work yourself I'd say this may not be the car you want. These are many other wonderful MB's out there so I'd suggest poking around the various forums for coupes and sedans, roadsters, etc. and see what tickles you. Why not a R129 chassis SL? The 2002 Silver Arrow is much beloved and pretty reliable overall. The whole R129 range tends to be satisfying and if you add a panorama removable hardtop, you're in the business of living life largely for sure.

Good luck and let us know what you settle on.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
I'm with Direct on considering the R129 chassis. They are stone simple (for a modern MB), dead reliable (except for those unfortunate hydraulic cylinders in the top mechanism), and have plenty of scoot and looks. It is one (IMO--I own one) of the most handsome modern designs.

The CL is like a very beautiful, very high maintenance woman. She'll leave you breathless most of the time--sometimes with pleasure and sometimes with pain. Add the AMG bits to the mix, and there is a magnification of the pain in terms of the cost of repairs.

My wife has a Lexus LS430, so I understand the attractiveness of the choice. It is more trouble-free than the MB (although she has had nearly $6000 in miscellaneous trim and accessory bits replaced under her extended warranty), but it lacks the undeniable pinache of the tri-star.

Good luck on your search.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4matic (owned previously); 1996 SL500
What about the CLS55 AMG? I've heard they are actually pretty good cars, plus two more doors and two more seats so you can bring friends more easily. Not as much brute force as the CL65 but a Kompressor 5.5 liter V8 won't disappoint.

If you love Corvettes, a part of that love is the sound of their V8 engine. V12s sound exotic and great...but they can never match a low rumbling V8 in my opinion.

"Elitist snobs talking about elitist snobs on an elitist circlejerk forum... " -Fergie

"And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile" -Once In a Lifetime, Talking Heads

"...and now you know...the rest of the story." -Paul Harvey

Last edited by j99xj; 04-07-2010 at 05:33 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If you want a 12-banger AMG buy a CPO from a dealer and pay to extend the warranty for as long as you plan to keep it. Otherwise, the odds are your maintenance costs will break your bank account.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 06:02 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Cool Shops love CLS....

because the owners drive the piss out of them and tear them up... thus repairs.

I think looking for high performance and high speed is a mistake, get 2 cars to full fill your personalities.

B

The finest example of automobile engineering in the world
Floats like a CADI
Stings like a BMR
Stingy as a Prius
and.... all Mercedes Benz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in