post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Manual Hard-Top hoist.

I'm looking for a manual hoist for my hard-top on my 87 560SL. Probably asking too much to find one made in USA. Has any one bought a good one??
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I purchased one for my 89SL and used it for a about a year, I always had a fear of it coming down and dropping on the floor, the car or me. I finally went to a cart and cover, MB had one that collapsed when not in use. The only use I could possibly see would be to facilitate the removal or installation, but then you have the issue of putting it on a cart. Twice a year get someone to help and go for a cart.
You can make one....
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Mercedes Benz Accessories

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a top from Performance Products (Performance Products® – Performance Parts and Accessories.) for my R129. It's made in the US and installed easily. It has an adjustable harness that will fit any of the removable roadster hard tops. I think I paid a little over $200 for it.

I installed it over the spot in my garage where my W220 lives. I hoisted the top off the R129 and left it in the harness over the W220 (my plan was to leave it hang there). After watching the top slowly twisting at the end of the steel cable over the sunroof of my "real" car, I chickened out and bought a dolly and cover. I use the hoist for holding up heavy things until I can brace them (my lawn tractor for an oil change for example), so it isn't a total waste. I'd probably sell it, but I'm too lazy to take it down (six bolts, I think).

Peter is right; I take the top off about now (I took it off last weekend), and I put it on when the weather turns cold. For that, I get a buddy and it's an easy two-person job. With the hoist it is a one-person job, but lowering the top onto the dolly is awkward.

If you're taking the top off and on frequently and you don't fret about leaving it hang on that steel cable, a hoist makes sense.

Good luck.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: