post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 03 C240 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Best gas to use

Just filled up with Sunoco Premium and notice car drove a little better than when I pick it up from dealership.Is there a brand Preferred to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Doubt it.

Most people seem to recommend branded gasolines rather than the off-brands you find at convenience stores and Sam's club. The brands have more detergents than the others, and should keep your induction system cleaner.

The only gasoline additive recommended by Mercedes is Techron which is a Chevron product. While MB doesn't recommend a gas brand, I suppose you could conclude they prefer Chevron since that gasoline uses Techron as a detergent.

I like Shell, but that is mostly because there are a number of Shell retailers in my usual paths to places.

Good luck.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 06:14 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolby View Post
Just filled up with Sunoco Premium and notice car drove a little better than when I pick it up from dealership.Is there a brand Preferred to use?
Unless you ran the car to an 100% empty tank, then filled it up, the gas your engine burned after your fill-up would have come from your previous fill-up.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4matic (owned previously); 1996 SL500
I almost exclusively buy Shell gasoline. Word on the street has it that the premium "V-power" does NOT use power/economy robbing ethanol and is pure gas...

"Elitist snobs talking about elitist snobs on an elitist circlejerk forum... " -Fergie

"And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile" -Once In a Lifetime, Talking Heads

"...and now you know...the rest of the story." -Paul Harvey
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by j99xj View Post
I almost exclusively buy Shell gasoline. Word on the street has it that the premium "V-power" does NOT use power/economy robbing ethanol and is pure gas...
If that's the case your lucky, out hear in Oregon, our wonderful legislatures have mandated that ALL gas sold for motor vehicle on highway use have 10% ethanol year around, and pretty soon ALL higway diesel will be required to b 5% biodiesel. Already the diesel mandate applies to parts of the state.

I just stick to major stations, whomever is cheaper. That includes Costco, Fred Meyer and the Shell/Chevron/Texaco etc. I haven't noticed any difference in performance or mileage, and I track mileage with every fillup.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Ditto to Shell and Chevron and add Texaco to the list. Type "top tier gasoline" and see what the automobile manufacturers say. You'll find those 3 and a few others that are not available here.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-420 View Post
If that's the case your lucky, out hear in Oregon, our wonderful legislatures have mandated that ALL gas sold for motor vehicle on highway use have 10% ethanol year around...
Same thing happened about 6 months ago in West Virginia. Chevron was one of the last holdouts, but some of the convenience stores have been adding ethanol for quite awhile. The Chevron station owner I know said it was the federal government that changed it for us.

Now Chevron/Texaco is supposedly pulling out of this entire region. I can get Shell but it's in Kentucky and the closest station is 15 miles away. I might go out of my way to buy the Shell.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 03-28-2010 at 09:40 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 03 C240 4Matic
(Thread Starter)
Ran tank down below 1/4 tank, I wondering if dealership put regular unleaded in on there fill up, but all said and done it's still the best ride I ever had.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:21 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j99xj View Post
The word on the street is wrong if you live or buy gas in a 10% ethanol mandate state. ALL blends except those sold inside of airports are required to contain 10% of this corrosive rip-off junk.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolby View Post
When I'm at an intersection or crossroads and in need of a fill-up, the best gas for my car is found at the station that offers the lowest priced premium unleaded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in