post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1991 420 SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Greetings, 1st Merc and loving it!

Hello all Benz lovers. This seems a fantastic resource, I am also a member of Jag Lovers and I have such an appreciation for these sorts of sites, they offer a fantastic resource for enthusiasts who like to work on their own cars but need opinions and advice from those who have already done it.

I recently bought my first Mercedes, She's a 1991 420SEL in what I would call Teal with 143K miles. At first I was put off by the problems I encountered while test driving but it all turned out well. NO rust, perfect paint except the rear bumper which has a couple superficial nicks, Florida car (really) with a bit of service history (I cannot find a timing chain R&R), all original paperwork and even the window sticker.

The power steering pump was gurgling, Radiator was leaking, the brakes (DID NOT) work, the wiper motor was shot and there were 18" AMG rims on the car. Antenna went within a week so bought a new mast, ripped it apart and cleaned it up.

Owner replaced Radiator for me and I requested new hoses as well.

I topped up the steering fluid, problem solved and doesn't leak at all.

Bled the brakes because the owner showed me reciepts for replacing the Master cylinder and Booster, no more issues.

Bought a wiper motor on eBay for $40.

I also got some refurbished OEM wheels with good rubber and new lug studs by trading in the AMG rims.

There are a couple things to sort such as removing the remote start because it really doesn't work all the time, the squeeking alternator, refilling the AC because it hisses (Has already been converted to 134A), cruise, Pads...rotors...flex lines, Trans service (shifting hard when cold), Center console Zebrano is not looking too hot, Timing guides and chain, Might as well replace water pump and fill system with MB coolant, Fix cold start lumping, Ignition Wires...cap...rotor (already replaced Plugs with W8DC Bosch non-resistor), and whatever catches my fancy when I am stuck in.

Could someone tell me if I got a good deal for 3K? Any opinions what I should do to keep the old girl purring on all 8 reliably.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00071.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	297536   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00066.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	297537   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00064.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	297538  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: C55 AMG
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: