Horrible experience with parts and service department - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStephenMasek View Post
I told her I found this fourum and posted about her experience, and she reminded me that they also put 250 miles on it while they had it that day! M-B Laguna Niguel is the place. I've gone there only for parts since, as it is close, and the dealers all have the same prices.
I guess ifari's latest comment is not even enough how they do business these days. I am glad they are closed though. I guess people should complain when they have problems, otherwise they would keep doing what they are doing...

Pilots don't need much school. They just have to learn to read numbers so they can read their instruments.
__________________________________________
"Stupid, it is not the economy. It is your stupidity"
jcbenny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1981 MBZ 300D, 1984 MBZ 190D 2.2, 1985 MBZ 300D turbo, 1992 MBZ 190E 2.6
Location: Glendale, CA, USA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I saw both invoices.

The service invoice states that a customer part was installed (by doing that, they noted that it MAY not have been a brand new part--they qualified their statement at the bottom of the invoice where it states that all parts installed are new unless otherwise noted. Well, they noted).

I really don't like their wording that it was a customer part because they leave it open that it might have been a junkyard part. In reality, the customer just did not pay MSRP, but the part was from the dealer and customer never touched the part. By using the language the dealer did, it opens it up for all kinds of game playing. Next time I go to the dealer, I will simply ask for a across the board discount percentage (MBCA members qualify) on the invoice for parts and service so this language of "customer supplied parts" won't be written. I think it will hurt the customer in the end.

The invoice for the parts purchased has the part number, but no disclaimer that parts ending in 88 are remanufactured. That is a problem. My local dealer has it on their invoices and its something that is useful to have across the board for all MB dealers.

Did I read this correctly: You only get 90 days warranty for that valve body? That is disappointing. We had a long discussion on the MBCA message boards that a Mercedes-Benz part has a 12 month, 12K mile warranty (engines, transmissions are longer). If you buy an alternator from the dealer and it goes bad within a year, you can go to any MB dealer and show the purchase invoice and they would have to replace it for free (parts and labor). If it was installed incorrectly, the warranty is void, of course. Purchasing a genuine Mercedes-Benz part has its perks, but I never heard of 90 days. Must be something new or Florida specific?
AnthroProfessor is offline  
post #63 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
@AnthroProfessor: I 100% agree what you wrote above. Of course MOST dealers play games, don't we all know that? I am surprised that they did not put that "the customer supplied part is broken/used/junk" They would have, I guess I should feel lucky Now, how do I know that they really replaced the valve body after all hiding the condition of the product from the customer? I am not saying they did not install but how do I know? To me, the technician can say to the parts/SA guy, "no need to change the valve body, changing the conductor plate will do it". Again, I am not blaming them for doing this but how would I know if they did not do this to me? How do you even know if they change your oil when you take your car for an oil change (any service not just MB) unless you see with your own eyes?

Pilots don't need much school. They just have to learn to read numbers so they can read their instruments.
__________________________________________
"Stupid, it is not the economy. It is your stupidity"
jcbenny is offline  
post #64 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1981 MBZ 300D, 1984 MBZ 190D 2.2, 1985 MBZ 300D turbo, 1992 MBZ 190E 2.6
Location: Glendale, CA, USA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let us be real in that the dealer did not hide the condition of the valve body since they did use the correct part number and researching that part number would reveal and confirm what it is. They just left out a notation on the preprinted portion of their invoice, which I believe is a violation of the Bureau of Automotive Repair that requires dealers and repair facilities to disclose when things are new, used, rebuilt, remanufactured, etc.

Anyway, it has already happened many times that some dealers use non-genuine Mercedes parts while using the genuine MB part number on the invoice. I would not put it passed them that they overdiagnose repair needs for your car (although your valve body replacement would not necessarily qualify for this). Telling you that you needed a new transmission would have been over the top though.

It sometimes happens that mechanics may break something while working on your car and then report as finding it broken while charging you to fix it. Again, once your car is in the repair facility and you are not allowed to go in, you really don't know what's going on with your car. This is why you really need a mechanic you can trust.
AnthroProfessor is offline  
post #65 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
@AnthroProfessor: Maybe hiding was not the right word to use but I was trying to say that putting the part number on the invoice did not inform me. You may know parts ending with 88 is not new. I do not know that. So, how can I know this UNLESS they tell me upfront and/or put it on the invoice? I SWEAR if they told me this, I would have acted differently. Maybe I would buy a used part for half of what I paid for or maybe I would change the conductor plate only and take my own risk. Because to me remanufactured is not too different than used except there is warranty with the remanufactured.

Of course, there are so many things happen behind the scenes that we do not know. I am not saying they did the wrong diagnose, I am saying how can I know they really performed what needed to be done after all this? And of course I do not say this for all tech guys/services. There are so many try to take care of your car as if its their car.

__________________
Pilots don't need much school. They just have to learn to read numbers so they can read their instruments.
__________________________________________
"Stupid, it is not the economy. It is your stupidity"

Pilots don't need much school. They just have to learn to read numbers so they can read their instruments.
__________________________________________
"Stupid, it is not the economy. It is your stupidity"

Last edited by jcbenny; 03-20-2010 at 09:56 AM.
jcbenny is offline  
post #66 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:11 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1981 MBZ 300D, 1984 MBZ 190D 2.2, 1985 MBZ 300D turbo, 1992 MBZ 190E 2.6
Location: Glendale, CA, USA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Understood your points, jcbenny.

Now there is something more important to consider. How does your car drive now? When you have time, take it to your own technician just to test drive it.
Keep driving your car normally. Once you and your Technician determine it is fine, enjoy the car. When you approach the 90 day mark, make sure one last time it is still good otherwise, you will have to write a formal letter stating the repair did not take well. That letter is best sent via e-mail so no one can say it was not on time or that they did not receive it (games are played like that with mailed letters). Better yet, when you use email, send one to both the service advisor and service manager (with a CC). That way, they cannot play games that the letter was not received because of a computer glitch or whatever excuse they want to use. Do not only rely on a phone to preserve your warranty--because that alone will not (it all part of playing the game by the rules). In some cases, you not only have to write a letter, but it must be sent to a specific person or department, but I cannot think of anyone else you should send it to besides the SA and SM. Maybe a copy to MBUSA just for good measure. Because of the games Corporations play, I would go the extra mile to cover myself.

Good Luck and do not mind the people on the boards that made personal attacks. When people are anonymous, they tend to do things they normally would not in person (doesn't make it right, but its so....).

Last edited by AnthroProfessor; 03-20-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: grammar
AnthroProfessor is offline  
post #67 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthroProfessor View Post
Understood your points, jcbenny.

Now there is something more important to consider. How does your car drive now? When you have time, take it to your own technician just to test drive it.
Keep driving your car normally. Once you and your Technician determine it is fine, enjoy the car. When you approach the 90 day mark, make sure one last time it is still good otherwise, you will have to write a formal letter stating the repair did not take well. That letter is best sent via e-mail so no one can say it was not on time or that they did not receive it (games are played like that with mailed letters). Better yet, when you use email, send one to both the service advisor and service manager (with a CC). That way, they cannot play games that the letter was not received because of a computer glitch or whatever excuse they want to use. Do not only rely on a phone to preserve your warranty--because that alone will not (it all part of playing the game by the rules). In some cases, you not only have to write a letter, but it must be sent to a specific person or department, but I cannot think of anyone else you should send it to besides the SA and SM. Maybe a copy to MBUSA just for good measure. Because of the games Corporations play, I would go the extra mile to cover myself.

Good Luck and do not mind the people on the boards that made personal attacks. When people are anonymous, they tend to do things they normally would not in person (doesn't make it right, but its so....).
I already have the email from the service manager that states the part has 12 Month MB warranty. I did that because I knew the games that they would play with me

Ohh, it is fine. Personal attackers get the messages anyway

Pilots don't need much school. They just have to learn to read numbers so they can read their instruments.
__________________________________________
"Stupid, it is not the economy. It is your stupidity"
jcbenny is offline  
post #68 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:02 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1981 MBZ 300D, 1984 MBZ 190D 2.2, 1985 MBZ 300D turbo, 1992 MBZ 190E 2.6
Location: Glendale, CA, USA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
12 month warranty is fair. Its the 90 days I did not like (that's what it said for transmission parts on your parts invoice).

Maybe the service invoice has the 12 month warranty stated?

Let me just put this out. If the service invoice does not state 12 months, but you have the service manager's email that clearly states it does, it may not cover you. There is this legal language that might be on the back of the service invoice that states that no employee may modify the warranty. In that case, it does not matter what anyone says to you. You must read the warranty disclaimer yourself. Its just another way that games are played and just wanted to inform you.
AnthroProfessor is offline  
post #69 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Location: Ratville
Posts: 24,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbenny View Post
@AnthroProfessor: Maybe hiding was not the right word to use but I was trying to say that putting the part number on the invoice did not inform me. You may know parts ending with 88 is not new. I do not know that. So, how can I know this UNLESS they tell me upfront and/or put it on the invoice? I SWEAR if they told me this, I would have acted differently. Maybe I would buy a used part for half of what I paid for or maybe I would change the conductor plate only and take my own risk. Because to me remanufactured is not too different than used except there is warranty with the remanufactured.
...
Every mechanic knows a part number ending with 88 means it's a remanufactured part.

You should too next time you purchase anything online or from the wholesale window at the dealership.

... and this important discussion continues.


Dooloogssst!
mlfun is offline  
post #70 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Location: Ratville
Posts: 24,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthroProfessor View Post
Let us be real in that the dealer did not hide the condition of the valve body since they did use the correct part number and researching that part number would reveal and confirm what it is. They just left out a notation on the preprinted portion of their invoice, which I believe is a violation of the Bureau of Automotive Repair that requires dealers and repair facilities to disclose when things are new, used, rebuilt, remanufactured, etc.
...
The BAR rules apply only to retail customers.
This part was sold through the wholesale window to another "mechanic".

... and this important discussion continues.


Dooloogssst!
mlfun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE polorico General Mercedes-Benz 11 11-01-2008 09:39 AM
    HORRIBLE experience with the C230 sunwoo88 W203 C-Class 29 03-20-2007 07:20 PM
    Mercedes lemon and horrible customer experience nehrlich General Mercedes-Benz 15 05-09-2005 12:20 PM
    Absolutely horrible experience with a Starmark car. alchase@covad.net R170 SLK-Class 12 03-31-2004 09:33 PM
    turning out to be a bad experience at House of Imports service department Guest (MBNZ) W203 C-Class 3 01-31-2002 09:02 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome