LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Aug 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'02 S430 Key won't work --Help!

Last night a valet tried to unlock the passenger door-- a loud electronic squeal emitted for about 5 seconds. When I drove away the entire instrument cluster was dark. Upon stopping and restarting the car, all appeared well. This morning the key would not turn and I noticed the lights had been turned on manually and the battery was dead. after charging the battery, the key still would turn. I disconnected the battery, reconnected, left the key in the ignition for 20 minutes and still nothing. The key will work the remote features but not start the car. A second key will start the car but not work the remote features. Any Ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MKH02 View Post
A second key will start the car but not work the remote features. Any Ideas? Thanks.
Not quite sure what you mean here.... do you mean it will not lock/unlock the doors?

Are the batteries inside both keys OK? Does a little light show when you press any button confirming the battery status is OK.

However, you can start the car with flat key batteries, but you cannot lock/unlock the doors remotely.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your car is a W220 chassis. If you scroll down the forum choices, you will see a forum for the W220. That room is filled with people who have some version of the same car as you and you'll more likely find specific help there.

I have a W220, but I have never had key difficulties, so I can't offer you any suggestions.

You might also try the electronics and telematics forum.

Good luck.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: