LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Feb 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New owner of an 85 300d turbo from VA

So I had been searching and searching for an 80's td for months on Craigslist. Most were not in very good condition in one way or another. Got frustrated and said forget it I'm going to the public auction to get a daily beater. All the cars in the auction are in a warehouse with only sunlight from ceiling high windows. After walking around looking for prospects found two that looked to have potential. An early nineties 190 2.6 and an early nineties Buick le sabre Grandma special 40k on the clock, super fresh. The 190 had 116 and a corner of one bumper smashed, other than that I'd give it an 8/10. I decided to get the flashlight from the car to check out underneath the vehicles. Checked the Benz and the leaks I saw broke my heart cause she was purrty. The Buick needed no looking it was mint. Auction was running slow and decided to walk down tbr street and grab a sandwich. Walking out I see it. Sitting right outside the bay door but not labled like the others. Looked under the car and said this is mine. 132k on the clock. Baby blue with three dings on the whole car. Not s rip in any seat but a crack down the middle of the dash. The car was obviously garages kept for being a DC car in the body condition it is in. Good tires. Appaarent recent tune up, no rust, not leaks, and just an overall Jen hiding where noone there but me knee what a find this was. Drove it home from the auction and began fixing some minor 25 year old car issues. Oil change with rotella synthetic and MB oil filter. Air filter. Little rubber mount under air cleaner. New air filter. Replaced both engine shocks. Swapped out the siezed up for a junk yard motor that works perfectly after a little cleaning. Repacked the front bearings with some mobile 1 sythetic. Ran about four full tanks through it with diesel kleen everytime but once.
*****Here are my questions any and all suggestions welcome.*****

The first start of the morning is a little rough but with a slight touch of the gas pedal she seems to have an easier time warming up. Is there any minor adjustment I could make to help, or is this a sign I should get a valve adjustment.
*even if it is just a little throttle adjustment would I be better off just going ahead with the valve job as well?
*I know there are some vacuum leaks and would like to track them down. Any known culprits that I should check first?
*Has anyone made or does anyone sell an airbag setup/kit or parts guide for this model? Or any input from anyone with personal expierence already riding on air would be much appreciated.
Last I would just to say I took her on a three and a half hour journey and made it without a hiccup. She holds solid anywhere after 60 and is just a great handling machine for the 25 year old tank that she is.
* I could of swear I've read people adding just a bottle or gallon of vegetable oil. Any input or information on that would be of much appreciation.

Thanks in advance. My name is Shawn and I would appreciate any information or tips and tricks that will help me make this girl like she just got off the assembly line.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: