1998 E320 sedan - need help pricing - KBB doesn't account for rebuilt transmission - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1998 E320 Mercedes
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unfortunately, I do not have the OEM tires/rims.

A few people at the gym are interested. As you mentioned, they initially thought something was wrong with the car. Once they saw the 2010 car, then they realized that nothing was wrong with the Mercedes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA View Post
You can ask what you want. What someone is willing to pay may be a different matter.

The rebuilt trans is probably not going to get you any extra money because of 300E91's logic.

If you have the OEM wheels and tires, put them back on the car and sell the good wheels and tires separately. In my experience selling several used cars (Lexus and Mercedes) lately, buyers will try to beat you down off the KBB price for an 'average' car and they don't care whether the car is pristine or really is 'average.'

Everybody is looking for a bargain and the assumption is you need to sell the car badly to pay off a bookie or to support a drug habit, so nobody is going to pay you what you consider a fair price for the car. I'd strip all the extras off the car and sell them separately and get what the market will bear for what's left.

It's a nice car. It is probably worth $7k to someone who wants a nice car. Truth of the matter is someone looking at a 12 year-old car with 125k miles is not going to be particularly concerned with the niceties of how well it's been kept or what kind of tires it has; they are looking at getting into a Mercedes for cheap so they can impress their friends, girl friends, mom, or whoever.

Good luck. I hope you find a buyer who appreciates the car's condition, and I hope you get what you want for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Actually, most of the mileage was PA to NY highway miles. I bought the car from a friend who lives in PA & works in NYC.

Although you admittedly cannot tell, why would you guess that the paint is a "swirly mess"? It's not. This is likely because the car is kept off the street and not used as a bumper car in NYC parallel parking spots. The Mercedes has always been in a gated lot in NYC or garaged by my friend in PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
The rebuilt transmission adds no value to the car. If anything it just shows that all 125k miles were hard NYC stop-n-go miles, because these transmissions don't normally fail that young. I would put the stock wheels back on the car, because aftermarket/upgraded wheels generally add very little to no value when sold with the car. They will bring much more money on their own as a set.
As for the price. $7000 is too high for a NYC car with a fairly beat up interior. The steering wheel is trashed, the carpets and mats are heavily worn and dirty..... I can't tell about the paint, but I'd guess it is a swirly mess. This car will sell in the $5000 price range, assuming no accidents and nearly complete service history.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
not to burst your bubble, but IMHO NADA and KBB prices are inflated and used by dealers to let them start high and then come down. (Or advertise as $xx below KBB) Edmunds is more realistic for prices if you use the "good condition", few cars meet the top condition.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 1998 E320
how much did u spend on your rebuild transmission
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddd View Post
how much did u spend on your rebuild transmission
That was a few years ago now but I think around $2,500. We got a good deal since we knew the owner of the shop very well and had used him to work on our other Mercedes before selling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in