LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rust on C280

I bought a 1999 c280 about 8 months ago. I now notice some rust around the edges of the door molding. I had an estimate from a local auto body repair shop at almost 900 bucks. We noticed the doors had been repainted at some point in time. We are wondering if that is a known problem and might get it painted by MB since it has been already done once. Any one have advice on this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 AM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
There was no corrosion issue with the 1999 W202. The repaint of the door would seem to indicate that there was accident damage, right?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
There was no corrosion issue with the 1999 W202. The repaint of the door would seem to indicate that there was accident damage, right?
No record of an accident. The rust is on both sides of the car and both sides have been painted. I hate to pay that much to fix it when it's only temporary fix when it comes to rust. Thanks for the reply.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenz69 View Post
No record of an accident. The rust is on both sides of the car and both sides have been painted. I hate to pay that much to fix it when it's only temporary fix when it comes to rust. Thanks for the reply.
Where did you check for a "record of an accident?" Please don't say CarFax or some other database, because those services won't have any information on repairs that were done privately.

Your best bet for a long term repair may be to find a replacement door from a recycler and have that color matched instead of trying to salvage the original, but $900 does sound steep for a fix.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
Where did you check for a "record of an accident?" Please don't say CarFax or some other database, because those services won't have any information on repairs that were done privately.

Your best bet for a long term repair may be to find a replacement door from a recycler and have that color matched instead of trying to salvage the original, but $900 does sound steep for a fix.
Lol ok I won't say it. The car had one owner that I have proff of. The car also had all service done by the dealer, that I also have proof of. It would only make sense that an accident would have also been done by the dealer which would have left a record of this. Where could I find replacement salvage doors that wouldn't also be rusted? Thanks for your reply.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:16 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

There are may sources of body panels, depending one where you live there could be a recycler close by. For instance, on the west coast, up in Sacramento, Silver Star Recyclers website can show you what they have in stock specific to your chassis, or you can also set up an e-mail alert to notify you when a specific car you're looking for is available.

On the east coast, in Maryland is Potomac German, another great recycler.

Then there's whoever is local to you.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
This isn't something MB would be responsible for. Its a 11 year old car. Where do you live? If this is in snowville, then I'm not surprised by rust. It does sound like the car was in accident and incorrectly repaired. Did you do a bondo check on the repainted doors before you purchased the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in