FIRST POST, and first ever prob w/ my 1st benz, PLEASE HELP! =*[ - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FIRST POST, and first ever prob w/ my 1st benz, PLEASE HELP! =*[

Hey guys.

So i need your advice/help.

I just entered the Benz world by purchasing my first Benz not to long ago.

I bought a 2005 E320 benz, from Calibasis Mercedes assuming based on the quality of reps plus their CARFAX sheet, they dont sell totaled/salvaged Benzes.
(rep quality was terrible, and i was paying cash!!! thats a whole other posting though)

So i bought it, (last week of Nov 2009, this past Nov) and now i have encountered my first problem.

I returned to my car to find the front left side (drivers side) much lower then the other 3. I sat in my car turned it on and my car alerts me "STOP, CAR IS TOO LOW"

The car does not have warrenty due to it being a 2005 its milage is roughly 90k and from what i was told and presented the car is clean title.

the mechanic told me id have to wait till mon-tues to get an idea of price and problem.

Any info will help, i also took a picture of the ERROR MESSAGE i recieve and attached to this post. PLEASE REPLY

Would full covrage insurance cover this? I will buy Benz warrinty after i resolve this matter.

thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	benz.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	294564  

Last edited by madmusic34; 03-05-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
It sounds like you should have come on this forum and asked us about the car before you purchased it! You got a fairly rare E320 WITH Airmatic. It sounds like you have an airmatic failure. Better get the cash ready, because this is going to be an expensive repair. It could be a couple $100 or a $1000 depending on what is broken (an air leak or a computer malfunction). And no, your car insurance does not cover mechanical repairs of any sort due to low quality components. Moral of the story.... don't buy an early airmatic car. Its going to fail and its going to cost big bucks to repair.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Your car is a W211 chassis. I suggest you scroll down from this forum to the W211 forum where there is a room full of people who have the car (or some version of it) that you own. They can probably tell you more precisely what the problem is.

It sounds like your car has airmatic suspension which I didn't realize the W211 had, although it may be optional. If that is the case, the compressor/module/strut/controller or some combination of them have packed up and allowed the corner of the car to settle. Given that it is only one corner, it is most likely the strut. That is relatively good news. The bad news is a replacement strut is a bunch of money. There is a repair kit available for my car (W220 S430) that is not nearly so dear as a new strut. I assume a repair kit is available for yours as well.

It is not an insurance issue, so save your time and breath. It is a mechanical failure in the vehicle unless it was caused by an accident or vandalism.

Your car is relatively high mileage, although it is also relatively new. (By the way, your actual mileage is 73xxx--you reported the trip odometer reading and moved a decimal). I'm not sure what the normal life of the airmatic struts might be; it varies by chassis and MY.

If you do not have airmatic suspension, the McPherson strut on that side of the car has collapsed--but you would not get that warning on the dash without airmatic, so I don't think that is the issue.

In any event you have a serious problem that puts the car out of commission until it is remedied.

The guys in the W211 forum can fill in the blanks for you.

Good luck.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck

Last edited by DrJfrmLA; 03-05-2010 at 06:17 PM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:14 PM
BenzWorld Elitist
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
On the bright side, the car doesn't actually have 90,000 miles.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: