Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New Benz powered Studebaker member

589 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  H-TownBenzoboy 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

My very first car 37 years ago was a black 1965 190D. It was my first of 3 190Ds and then I owned a 220D.

Then I was given a GM pickup with a 10' bed on it with a very strong running om352 engine in it. The pickup drove very poorly, steered very hard and had very poor drum brakes. Since I also love Studebaker pickups, I was handed a perfect opportunity to build myself one like none other on the planet. I built a chassis with a 122" wheelbase to match a Studebaker body, put the GM cab and a home made bed on the back of it. I drove the OM352 powered truck with it's temporary body from Alaska to Minnesota towing a trailer to haul a R-2 Studebaker back to Alaska. On the way home I had an engine fire due to a plastic oil pressure line burning in two. With the help of some kind Canadians we got the fire out, and I was able to drive it all the way back without a starter or very much wiring. After the fire it began using oil, but I believe with the help of the guys on the Unimog forum we may have it narrowed down to nothing more than a bad gasket. I can hope. Anyway, the project is about half done, and as it progresses I can post some pictures.

Leon on Kachemak Bay

#3 ·
Interesting! I don't if you knew this, but until 1963, MBs sold in the US were sold through Studebaker dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.