#1 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:49 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Summer Storage in Florida for SL550

I will be storing my 2007 SL550 (22,000 miles on it) in Florida this summer while I'm away for six months. I'm thinking it would be best to store it in an air conditioned storage unit to prevent mildew, disconnect the negative terminal on the consumer battery(no place to plug in a trickle charge), wash/wax the car, over inflate tires by 10 psi, change the oil(will have only about 2000 miles on Mobil One oil). Does this sound like a complete list or does anyone have more or better recommendations.
Thanks, Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mouse traps in the floorboards and under the vehicle itself to prevent costly damage from the hungry little guys.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook
MotoArigato:Roadworthy News & Humor

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
#3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwebster1 View Post
I'm thinking it would be best to store it in an air conditioned storage unit to prevent mildew, disconnect the negative terminal on the consumer battery(no place to plug in a trickle charge)........
No need to disconnect your battery. My 'maintenance charger' (not a trickle charger) came with two different leads. One is the standard type with alligator clips that clamp to the battery terminals. I do not use those.

The other type has terminals that can bolt onto the battery terminals permanently, and at the other end is a shrouded miniature connector. This fits onto a matching connector on the charger lead. When I decide to give my battery a boost in winter, I simply fit the lead from my charger to this special connector, and plug into the mains. It has electronic control that stops all charging when the battery voltage is OK, with LEDs showing the status. The lead can be slipped under the hood when closed making a tidy job.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2001 E320 4matic sedan
You might consider a gas stabiliser, such as Sta-Bil or Seafoam.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 08:33 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies. Wish I could use a charger but the storage unit will not have ac power. Will add gas stabilizer and do something like mouse traps. Does anyone store their car in Florida in the summer and if so what do you do?
Thanks, Don
#6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 08:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have stored mine for at least 6 months, and had no issues the (92 SEL) which has minimal current drain. I have stored my 01 E for months, but to tell the truth the mice somehow started building a nest under the hood with all kinds of grass and things, A coat hanger and garden hose ended their construction, and have not been back. Those nice plastic covers on the engine make good hiding places.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Peter
#8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Screw mouse traps; put out about 50 D-Con boxes under the car, on the floorboards (put a piece of plastic between them and the mats), in the trunk, and under the hood. The little buggers will eat that and go off somewhere and bleed to death.

If you don't have D-Con, throw a bunch of Coumadin tablets around; it's the same thing.

If you use mouse traps, then you're going to have decaying mouse corpses littering your storage place and imprinting your leather with the permanent smell of death, maggots eating the little bitty rat corpses, and you'll be swarmed with hungry flies when you open the door after you get home. Not a pretty picture.

Actually, that was a little more graphic than I meant it to be. D-Con is a better bet.

Good luck.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
#9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 05:31 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
You seem to have most of the steps down. If you can get it into an air conditioned or even just de-humidified storage unit, that would a help a lot. Otherwise the interior will get very moldy. Buy 3 boat/motor-home de-humidifiers (little round cups with moisture absorbing crystals) and put 2 of them inside the cabin and one in the trunk. Make sure to leave all the windows open a little bit, so the dry air can exchange with the interior air. Can you buy a jack and 4 jack stands and put it up on jack stands? Leaving the car on the tires for 6 months is not a good idea. If you can't jack it, go out and buy the thickest Styrofoam insulation you can find. Cut it into 4 small squares. Drive the car up onto the foam blocks. The tires will sink into the foam and prevent flat spotting. Make sure to run the gas nearly empty a day before you store it, then empty a half bottle of star tron enzyme fuel stabilizer/ethanol killer (you can find this at any boating supply store and in the boat section of Wal-Mart) into the tank at the gas station right before you fill the tank all the way up. Do not store the car with anything less than a full tank! Make sure the fuel is stabilized and the ethanol is neutralized!!

Do you know AND trust anyone in the area of where you are leaving the car? If so, leave the car in a drivable state. Give the key to your friend and tell them to come drive the car at least once per month, and give them money for gas. Tell them to keep it topped off. No matter how well you store it, some of the sensors/electronics gadgets are almost guaranteed to malfunction/break when you put everything back together in 6 months. These cars don't like to be stored.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Mr.xpowerseller, thanks for the excellent advice. We also have a LS460 which I like to drive almost as much as the SL550.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz