Another Arizonan - 1988 560SL - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1988 560SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jasonwentcrazy Send a message via Yahoo to jasonwentcrazy
(Thread Starter)
Another Arizonan - 1988 560SL [New and Improved!]

So I'm feeling like my first introduction was a little flat and I thought I had it in me to try for better and this is that;

Hello! I'm in the luxury ground transportation business here in Tucson and I used to be Marketing & Accounts Manager for an executive sedan company and about the only perk for a job like that was that I had a fantastic company car and totally free gasoline. The car was this Crown Vic Police Interceptor complete with the rammer and the spotlight and all. It was pretty nice and fun to drive and I freaked people out in the thing as it looked like I was an undercover cop for sure.

I jumped ship from where I had been after being constantly miserable really. at the place save for my time in the car and I just decided to quit. I am an artist and had recently begun to prep for a gallery show and I was selling some steady work in the interim. I did that until I found the position where I'm now. I do pretty much the same thing as before but I do it for a company that's really a dream scenario for most anyone. I'm really glad for how things are going but the no-car gig was kind of ponderous. I had to schedule things around my gracious girlfriend's schedule and use her car when I could. But, it was worth it to be on with such a cool company. How cool are they? [I'll tell you.]

They told me they had an extra car and that it was under wraps since they didn't use it really anymore and they'd be pulling it out and getting it plated and I could come by and grab it the next day. So I went out the next day and they handed me the keys to this wonderful 1988 560SL.

So, yeah. It's pretty cool for sure.

I wanted to learn all I could about the thing and found this site and forum and I've been lurking a bit and just decided to join in and participate.

I see some similar models around Tucson and we invariably sort of follow each other for a while or honk and wave like a crazy person. You can't help it and I have tried to stop it but I can't so I may as well join in officially.

I figured I'd also peek around to see if any of the Tucson owners happened to be here and I'll look around for other good info. I know I'm not alone.

Anyway, so that's it.

I'm in a 1988 560SL with about 170k miles and it's running like a champ as far as I can tell. Some minor issues like the sun visor on my side is loose, the driver side door arm is gone missing and my sandwiched leg has held its own against the map pocket, the hard top is frustrating to the point that I've cried wolf so much about getting it off that nobody will help me anymore, the door lock goes on strike and it convinces the trunk and the gas cap to do the same and the carpet is due for cleaning as one of the very first things you notice about such a truly beautiful piece of machinery is that it's got no freakin' cup holder and Tucson is cruelly full of 'speed humps'. [In St. Louis we always called them speed bumps. Why is Tucson so odd?] Morning coffee is difficult and at least after you do spill your coffee on yourself and your lovely new car you won't have to contend with it anymore. And this comes in really handy when you are stuck figuring how to best exit this beautiful example of design and engineering, twisting your spine in such a radically different way than you ever thought possible, as you exit smiling like you have the knowledge that you just had the ride of your life. And you very well might be right about that too.

But, seriously, I SO love this car. A lot.

It's, well, you know what I mean...

Cheers!
-Jason http://www.benzworld.org/forums/imag...s/thumbsup.gif

Last edited by jasonwentcrazy; 02-24-2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: It felt like it was lacking, really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in