Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

GusCor - new member with W123 300D tempomat problem

691 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  leapyfish 
#1 ·
Hi all. I joined today. I live in the "Garden Route", Western Cape Province, South Africa. I've owned Mercedes sedans for most of my adult life. At present I have an '84 W126 280SE(A) with only 32 700 km from new, as well as an '85 W123 300D(manual transmission) with a mere 22 500 km on the clock from new. The histories of boths cars have been meticulously recorded. The 300D was acquired recently. It is in mint condition but it does demonstrate the old adage that these cars "brake standing". The aircon was almost never used and packed up the moment it was acitvated. Fortunately it could be repaired - courtesey of the seller! - with brand new parts. Thereafter the mechanism of the windscreen wipers (the "long" arm) broke - quite understandably so, as I probably was the first ever person to drive this car in its 25 year history in rain. This I was able to fix myself, using a new part from Mercedes. (NO rust in there!) Yesterday the tempomat speedo cruise became "stuck" at about 140 km/h. I had to put the car in neutral and swicth off the high revving engine. The problem - i e engine still revving at high rpm's - persisted after I had removed the tempomat's fuse and again switched on the engine. I later discovered that when the tempomat became stuck, I could remedy the problem by repeatedly rapidly depressing and releasing the accelerator pedal. Now it seems to be perfectly in order - until next time? Any clues as to what could have caused this quite dangerous problem? Regards GusCor

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.