LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ML 350 remote locking system erratic

My 6 month old ML 350 remote locking system does not work well at all. Sometimes you have to press the remote 5 or more times while standing right next to the drivers door and nothing happens. Eventually it does unlock if you just keep pressing. The dealer changed the batteries in the keys but to no avail. The second time they looked at it they did nothing. It is definitely not right and friends laugh at the probelms I experience when trying to unlock my very expensive 2009 Mercedes Benz. Any ideas will be welcome as the delear seems clueless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
First try to explain as much as possible about the car. As an example you probably did try both keys but did not bother to tell if both keys behave the same way.

Where is this workshop (you could add your location to your profile)?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
both keys do not work. it works better when the car is in a small garage. when outside it works better but not properly when standing backward of thetwo front doors and from then back of the car. you can actually be right next to the front door the car and be pressing about 5 or more times before it works. we live in cape town south africa and the crime in this part of the world is, i think, the very worst. so this is a pretty serious safety issue in as much as you do not want to be standing next to your car trying to open the doors with the safety key while a hijacker shoots you dead and steals your car.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 05:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by red fender View Post
both keys do not work. it works better when the car is in a small garage. when outside it works better but not properly when standing backward of thetwo front doors and from then back of the car. you can actually be right next to the front door the car and be pressing about 5 or more times before it works. we live in cape town south africa and the crime in this part of the world is, i think, the very worst. so this is a pretty serious safety issue in as much as you do not want to be standing next to your car trying to open the doors with the safety key while a hijacker shoots you dead and steals your car.
Could it be an issue with the RF connection of your remotes with the car. I assume your driver's door handle has a small IR receiver window? Is the key working well if you point the door handle with your key, keeping the IR window of your key pointed directly to the door handle (from a short distance, 30 cm to two metres or so)? It should really work every time.

One stupid question: you have RHD cars, do they have the IR sensor at the right door handle? I cannot remember if our cars have the sensor a the left door handle or on both.

The IR part of the key does not work from distance and if there is no direct path for the IR signal from the key. In a small garage IR reflections may make the signal reach the door handle receiver even if you were not pointing the door with the key. The IR key does not work well from distance (more than 20 metres) or if pointed away from the door handle receiver.

Is your car radio working fine? Did you check the fuse for the FM antenna amplifier (I cannot remember if it has one), usually the FM amplifier and the remote key receiver are combined to the same control unit.

PS. We did not find Cape Town unsafe when we wisited the place a few years ago with my colleagues. Instead we found it very nice. Of course we did not go alone more than to places near our hotel. I thought other cities in South Africa could be a lot more unsafe.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 02-13-2010 at 05:52 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the Interest

The Sensor is on the right door. Perhaps what might be the most useful clue uselful though is the fact that in a small garage it works from wherever you stand but in the open it does not work all the time, particularly when standing in front of the car. I am no technical wizard at all though, this I must stress. The key does not always work when standing directly in front of the sensor even if you are less than 1 meter away unless you are in the small garage. The radio is fine. I do not know where the FM fuse is though. Cape Town has terrible crime. Visitors, as in your case, are normalyy unaware of it though but it is the most beautiful place in the world in my opinion, just appalling crime though.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

It still sounds like only the infrared (IR) connection from the key is working. IR works from close distance and only when you point the IR receiver with the key. This does not work well from the front of the car or the rear.

The key should also work via radio connection, the roof antenna module receives the remote key signal and transmits the received code to the rear SAM. I believe the same fuse feeds all the antenna amplifiers at the roof antenna module, so the issue does not sound like a blown fuse.

I would insist a workshop would check the radio control function from the key to the rear SAM. I did not check but it should be possible to diagnose if the rear SAM receives a message from the antenna module when a key is pressed.

Doors should lock and unlock without trouble if you are metres away and your back facing the car and the key in front of you (this makes sure the IR signal does not reach the car).

The IR portion of the key is easier to test, you can try the window convenience function (opening/closing windows and the sunroof with the remote key) but I cannot think of a similar easy test for the RF connection.

You might try another similar car at your dealer. If you try it at 10 to 30 metre distance, it should still work fine (locking/unlocking the doors, the convenience opening/closing feature works only via IR and does not work from distance).

I wish you luck with the dealer, sometimes it is difficult to convince the workshop experts that there is something wrong if your keys work via IR in which case you actually have all the functionality the key should provide, except that it does not work from distance.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 2007 Sprinter 2500
I have the same problem

My Sprinter ( Sorry, ELITES, I do not know the chassis lingo to call my DODGE-MERCEDES-FIAT? Sprinter..forgive me, for I have sinned )

All 4 Flip Key Remotes work poorly. I figured that Neiman probably saved by putting old batteries in them during production, so tried fresh batteries.... no improvement.

Dealership gives non-answers to any technical inquiries. It is either ignorance or defiance.

I might call Dodge Corporate. Last time I got delays and foolish replies, they resolved the issue in hours. All I want to know is how to resolve having a super crappy RKE system.

As a locksmith, I am seeking a manner to create a straight key to house the RFID chip, IF that chip is separate from the keyless entry circuit board.....

Then it is AFTERMARKET receiver and Remote that will recognize a remote from, say..... more than 8 feet, if I get the English just right!

Just need to divorce these elements from one another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red fender View Post
My 6 month old ML 350 remote locking system does not work well at all. Sometimes you have to press the remote 5 or more times while standing right next to the drivers door and nothing happens. Eventually it does unlock if you just keep pressing. The dealer changed the batteries in the keys but to no avail. The second time they looked at it they did nothing. It is definitely not right and friends laugh at the probelms I experience when trying to unlock my very expensive 2009 Mercedes Benz. Any ideas will be welcome as the delear seems clueless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in