BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1999 CLK 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Auctions?

Hello guys,

Need help in this matter, currently i have a 1999 CLK 320, i live in the country of Guatemala the car was brought from the united states the car was sell to me in good condition at the price of $9,000.00 it was obviously purchased at an auction and the person who sold the the car to me makes a living by selling cars from the states. I am selling the car since in this country the base price of such model its around $12,000.00 , once that happens (hopefully soon) i would like to get another Mercedes Benz probably same CLK but different year, maybe 2002-2003 or so, but i don't want to be in the middle of this any more i want to buy the car from an auction directly myself and i keep searching in Google and a lot of advertising and websites of auctions comes up but some are too expensive and some others are very complicated (licenses to purchase, on line, non on line auctions,etc)
I have relatives in the states of Chicago and California and i was told long time ago that for US citizens it is possible to buy good and cheap cars at police/gov auctions.

so pretty much i am trying to find advices, i am willing to travel and ship the car by sea, pay taxes at my country and hopefully be able to sell it again and restart the process until i cant make it to a 2005-2006 model , people does this all the time i just don't know where i can find the best auctions available to start with, i will appreciate if somebody can guide me to find the best Mercedes Benz available.
thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
The last place you want to purchase a Mercedes is at a police/repo/seizure auction. If the owner of the car couldn't afford to pay their taxes or was dealing drugs out of the car, then how well do you think they maintained the car? Terrible to poorly in most cases.

You would need to check all the regulations for your country in regards to imports. You may need to change several things to meet certain standards, on each vehicle that comes into the country, which could cost LOTS of money. You may need to obtain special licenses. There could be very costly import taxes/export taxes. Then lastly, ocean freight is VERY expensive. You could easily exceed $1000 per car for ro-ro shipping. Depending on how well your government operates, it may be hard to nearly impossible to register the car and car insurance rates on a grey market car could also be outrageous.

Once you add this up, importing one car at a time, can be very costly. Importing loads of cars at once, can be profitable. I'm sure this is how the guy you purchased your car from operates.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: W164
Quoted: 0 Post(s) its an arm of the largest auto auction house Manheim
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
There are different kind of auctions available.
There are dealers auctions, that require dealers licence and hefty fees to join and there are open to the public auctions.
I went to few auctions open to the public and found that the prices are higher than from private transaction done over the net, or ebay.
So unless you have somebody with dealers license, the best choice IMHO would be ebay.
Do your homework. MB prices and conditions wary widely from state to state.
They generally are more expensive in California and more rusty in New York.
Generally for older cars I would consider only California, Arizona, Texas and Florida.
With newer ones you have wider choice, but it gets tricky.
Good luck.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I used to know a dealer who offered to take me to auctions for a fee of a couple hundred dollars. I know this is pretty common actually, so if your friends in the states know a used car dealer you may be able to arrange this... I am referring to a dealer auction of course, not a public or police auction. My experience is the opposite of Katjek's in that I find MBs to be cheaper in California, at least LA area because there is a much greater number of cars to choose from so the competition drives prices down. Southern California is the largest market for Mercedes-Benz I believe in the world.

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1999 CLK 320
(Thread Starter)
Thank you all for your information, i will do my homework.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: