post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 99 E300TD, 91 300E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
all eyes and ears

after looking around for months on end I managed to find a suitable W210. years ago when I was foot loose and fancy free i flew across the country and picked up a 78 300D sight unseen. well needless to say I loved the vehicle but plenty of problems came along with it. A fairly inexpensive lesson that was accompanied by many good times and many "not so good" times.

The latest go at a diesel seems to be fine but I am merely 1k miles in. Fairly clean, she has 211k on her. Few things had been replaced, same guy serviced the car since it was new. Have most records minus a few away from home repairs that had been done, replaced turbo, alternator a few other things. She knocks a bit but it doesn't have me bothered to my core considering the mileage.

Not much else. That is my basic info. this site is wonderful, I am not a mechanical wizard or rocket scientist by any means but I am resourceful enough and love learning. This is a great community and I am glad it has been here as a reference for me over the previous months.

thanks to all in advance.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: C55 AMG
Welcome to BW!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 01:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
thanks for stopping by and the welcomes. This is one of the few things I find value in online, kind of nice to have a place that I don't feel like the hours of learning feel like a waste or I have hit some point of diminishing returns.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
the next chapter

the odo on the 300TD is about 251k now. It was good to me with no real major issues. Upon purchase had the tranny fluid done, nothing beyond A/B servs after that. Few months ago I decided to give it to my mom to keep her from driving a turd of a toyota matrix around. Got the trap ox replaced so she wouldn't get hung up on the rattle. Then few things went headin south.

Glow plugs got yanked and swapped. No breakage, I was excited. Something else was off so got comp. swapped out with a recon part. been a little odd since w/ check engine light on and only code left is 1640 DAS or something. the sequence of trouble shooting was odd ended up having to hook something up to another 99 300TD that belong to someone else. Since the comp. is VIN coded I don't think the code will erase. Needless to say it runs out like a top and I feel good that my mom is safe and happy.

Today I picked up a w124 - 91 300E gasser w/290k on the chassis but used motor in it w/110k or so on it same mech. has serviced it since 91 when it was purchased used w/30k on it. Pretty content with it less an oddball Climate control issue that I will begin trouble shooting here in a bit.

Learned a good deal, will prob. be back on here learning a bit more since the w210 seemed to techy for me although I loved it my mom deserved it. I feel I can get into way more DIY and maint. stuff on w124. If I can't get it sorted I have a good indy guy (same mech. that serviced the w210 and w124 since they were both purchased used, minimal dealer service on either max 30k per car rest of time in his care) I really have faith in which brings me some peace.

Hope everyone is happy & healthy and has a good holiday season. I appreciate all the knowledge and community vibe on here.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 03:12 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: