Electronic throttle control vs mechanical linkage, which models use what? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: Vehicle Not Found
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Electronic throttle control vs mechanical linkage, which models use what?

I've only ever driven autos with a mechanical linkage, but I plan on buying a 2007+ 211 in the near future. Can anyone let me know which mercedes models don't use mechanical linkages anymore? After seeing that most new toyota's use electronic modules, I'm shocked. I honestly didn't think any car used an electronic regulator, and I thought mercedes' great failure with SBC was as far as electronic throttle/brake inputs got.

Can anyone run down a list of current models with actual mechanical linkages?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
As far as I know all Mercedes sold in last decade plus in US are drive_by_the_wire.
Don't worry >>> they are not Toyota
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubVBenz View Post
I've only ever driven autos with a mechanical linkage, but I plan on buying a 2007+ 211 in the near future. Can anyone let me know which mercedes models don't use mechanical linkages anymore? After seeing that most new toyota's use electronic modules, I'm shocked. I honestly didn't think any car used an electronic regulator, and I thought mercedes' great failure with SBC was as far as electronic throttle/brake inputs got.

None today would use a mechanical linkage. I doubt you can find any decent modern car that would use full mechanical throttle linkage. How do you control the engine ECU mechanically? You could do it for the throttle valve but not the injection, be it diesel or gasoline injection.

The Toyota issue was mechanical (mostly). The gas pedal got locked mechanically and this will be fixed by inserting a metal plate that allows more room for the mechanical parts to move and not get stuck even after some wear (as is happening now). You would have mostly the same problematic parts even if the throttle linkage was mechanical.

Unfortunately we cannot have the control made fully electronic to avoid these Toyota problems. It is a lot more common to have the Lexus/Toyota issue on old cars where the wire from the mechanical linkage wears and gas pedal gets stuck on full throttle.

And SBC brakes were no disaster. Well, there were more than one fix for the wiring harness etc. that were essential but how many complaints have
you seen lately while a huge number or cars are in use? All of the owners of a car with SBC brakes appear to be happy with the very powerful system with new features like SBC Hold and SBC Stop that did not exist previously. Excluding a few owners who faced the issues before all the recall work took care of this, it is only those who do not have a car with SBC brakes that find it a disaster. This of course is a big issue for the MB sales and marketing department and one significant reason why SBC brakes were discontinued.

If you really want to avoid the risk you are afraid, you should immediately change your current car to a modern MB with an electronic throttle control.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubVBenz View Post

The w210 series (96 on) use drive by wire for the throttle. To my knowlege so do all other mercedes models from at least 2000, most from the mid 90's on.

So does my 04 Silverado. I'd bet that there isn't a new car sold in the U.S. today that doesn't have a drive by wire throttle. And I'd bet that well over 90% of any cars from about 2000 on are drive by wire.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input

Last edited by e-420; 02-07-2010 at 10:24 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Per news articles -Toyota switched to DBW around 2003.
So maybe 2002 Toyota is what OP seeks?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: Vehicle Not Found
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wow, goes to show how much I know about modern cars...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Hey, do you still have that crank-operated calculator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in