LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil Removal From Top Of Engine

Has anyone who removed oil from the top of their engine gone to the trouble of draining the pan afterward to see how much oil was left?

I have done several vehicles like this in the past when I know I am only leaving a few drops of oil in the pan. Works better on some cars then others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1964 Mercedes 220Sb
Considering you usually have to get under the car to change the oil filter (your dumb if you don't change it). Why go through the hassle of sucking the oil out instead of the "tedious" labor of loosening a bolt?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
You guys are on wrong forum. All Mercedes have top mounted filters and dipstick tubes design for extraction.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
They also all have drain plugs designed for draining too. The OP has asked a legitimate question.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Living back in communism -The Party required chief executives to volunteer once a year into community work like planting the trees.
They had only one instruction how to do it
"Green side up"
Mercedes are design for top oil extraction for at least 2 decades. The drain plug is only as a backup and on newer model it takes like 20 minutes to get to it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Living back in communism -The Party required chief executives to volunteer once a year into community work like planting the trees.
They had only one instruction how to do it
"Green side up"
Mercedes are design for top oil extraction for at least 2 decades. The drain plug is only as a backup and on newer model it takes like 20 minutes to get to it.
Don't know about the latest cars, but on my 97 E420, (which isn't two decades old) it takes <5 minutes to get to the drain plug, and with a fumoto valve, 1/4 turn and oil is draining. The way he 420 pan is designed, I can get every last drop out even with the front end on ramps. Supposedly that isn't the case on some of the newer models. While it is draining, I replace the oil filter (which takes far longer than getting to the drain plug BTW) check under the engine then fill. I'll bet it takes no more time, and probably less time and effort than topside extraction. Gives an reason to do a good underside inspection as well, which one should do anyway. And I need one less space occuping tool (topside extractor)

BTW, if you do use the drain plug, get a fumoto valve. I've used them on all my recent cars and makes oil changing much easier, no muss, no fuss, no runs, no drips.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input

Last edited by e-420; 02-04-2010 at 10:08 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2010
(Thread Starter)
Wow...where do I start.

First, please rest assured I will always replace the oil filter with a new oil filter. More than likely go with the MOBIL 1 filter, definitely with MOBIL 1 oil. But let's not get into a discussion of filters and oil.

The 2009 CLK350 Cabrio is my family's first offshore vehicle. I understand my model of MB was designed for "FROM THE TOP" oil changes. I just wondered if anyone has gone to the trouble of seeing what was left in the pan. If not, well then I will find out in 8 months or so when I get to my first oil change.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

I did the test on ML55 and E300TD.
Depends on the timing you will always get couple of spoons switching from one method to the other. It takes pretty long time for the oil from upper engine shelf, coolers and so on -to get down to the oil pan. Meaning even after pulling the plug and fully draining the pan -I was still able to gargle some oil with the dipstick suction.
No matter what you do -at least a cup of oil will be always trapped in the engine.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgreatwhite View Post
...More than likely go with the MOBIL 1 filter, definitely with MOBIL 1 oil...
If your car requires it, just make sure the Mobil1 filter is the fleece type.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
It's clear that you're capable of imaging this but can you show it - in an official document that says oil is not to be drained from the bottom? I'm ready to be convinced but all I ever see is forum pontification on the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in